Multiuser and heavy apps processing in background

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Macbook Air with multiple user accounts. Frequently I find that some other user's application is running and consuming a great deal of processor time causing the fan to run at high speed. I have to sudo kill -9 it. This option is only available to myself. Most commonly the offending application is Firefox and some process called "plugin-container" but it can happen with other apps.

Are there any suggestions for how to deal with this problem? Can the OS be configured to suspend or at least limit the resources of applications when the user is logged out?

If not in general, then can Firefox be made to play nice?

I'd really rather not start asking people to close applications before the close the lid of the laptop. I wouldn't want to have to worry about that myself.

Thanks for any suggestions.

C

chas_m

Are there any suggestions for how to deal with this problem?

Everyone else has to get their own **** Mac ... :)

The "plug-in container" that's causing the problem is either Flash or Java. Guaranteed.

Can the OS be configured to suspend or at least limit the resources of applications when the user is logged out?

No, but the other users could be trained to stop leaving apps running or genuinely log out (not fast user switching, which leaves processes running) ...

If not in general, then can Firefox be made to play nice?

Not Firefox's fault. Not even really Flash's/Java's fault. Inconsiderate/unaware user's fault.

Ultimately, this problem isn't going to get fixed on a "community" machine. You need your own machine, and they need their own machines.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Are there any suggestions for how to deal with this problem? Can the OS be configured to suspend or at least limit the resources of applications when the user is logged out?

The user is not logged out - that's the problem.

Rather than quitting all running apps, have each user log out prior to closing the lid - two clicks - that's not too much to ask on a machine being used by multiple individuals.

edit: I'm slow - was watching Ender's Game.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.