Crashed 2011 MBA Help!

Reaction score
So here is the deal:

Back in late August of 2013 I purchased a 2011 11" 64GB MBA for my girlfriend for her birthday. I bought it used off of craigslist. The computer has an EFI password on it (which the owner provided to me). The computer was pretty well beaten, so i spent a bit of time and money fixing it up (all the bottom screws, a new bottom plate, new battery ext.). I also put a fresh install of mountain lin on the machine.

last week she went to update from 10.8 to 10.9. and now the computer fails to boot. My guess is her SSD was close to full, but had enough room to dld the update package but not actually install it, which caused the crash. Now when we turn on the computer it just flashes an apple logo, a "no smoking/do not enter sign" and a folder with a "?" in the middle.

I thought to myself "easy fix!, ill just boot to web recovery and restore, no problem."

then i ran into the firmware lock, which i have forgotten the password for, like a fool. I have absolutely ZERO way of contacting the owner again.

So i went to the apple store to have the EFI lock removed. They refused to do it without a proof of purchase, which i do not have, i bought it cash off of craigs list.

Does anyone have any ideas? I even did the unthinkable, and went to best buy geek squad. same answer, will not do it without a proof of purchase. i do have another mac ( 13" 2012 MBP) and was thinking of some type of target drive restore, but the air wont go into target mode, just boots to the flickering "apple, no sign, ? folder" when i hold "T" on boot.

help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The computer has an EFI password on it (which the owner provided to me).

...then i ran into the firmware lock, which i have forgotten the password for, like a fool. I have absolutely ZERO way of contacting the owner again.

So i went to the apple store to have the EFI lock removed. They refused to do it without a proof of purchase, which i do not have...

I in no way mean to "rub it in"...but why didn't you IMMEDIATELY remove that EFI password as soon as you got this computer??...I mean like the VERY first thing?? EFI passwords are so dangerous if the password is forgotten!

I even did the unthinkable, and went to best buy geek squad.

Ooh boy...don't get me started with the "Geek Squad"!;)

Back to the EFI password. There used to be a method to reset it on older Mac's...but this method no longer works on newer Mac's (at least since 2011).

Sorry...I think that Apple is the only solution.

- Nick

p.s. The only thing I can suggest is...if you still have an e-mail from the seller of the MBA buried somewhere in your e-mail folder...try contacting the seller. I know it's been like 6+ months...but there aren't many other options.

OP
R
Reaction score
I in no way mean to "rub it in"...but why didn't you IMMEDIATELY remove that EFI password as soon as you got this computer??...I mean like the VERY first thing?? EFI passwords are so dangerous if the password is forgotten!

Ooh boy...don't get me started with the "Geek Squad"!;)

Back to the EFI password. There used to be a method to reset it on older Mac's...but this method no longer works on newer Mac's (at least since 2011).

Sorry...I think that Apple is the only solution.

- Nick

p.s. The only thing I can suggest is...if you still have an e-mail from the seller of the MBA buried somewhere in your e-mail folder...try contacting the seller. I know it's been like 6+ months...but there aren't many other options.

ugh: well, that is the thing. i never emailed him, never called him. ONLY texted him. so i cant check email or call records, and sprint does not provide text records (I know, i work for them, lol)

i didn't remove it because honestly, it seemed like a pain in the A**. and i swore i saved the password in my google keep or Evernote. but sadly i cannot find it. and i got a new phone since then (again i work for sprint lol).

as of right now i have an 11" paperweight and Apple refuses to help. so silly i have a perfect machine in front of me that i cant use.

humpf.

anyone else have an idea. the only thing i can think of is to buy a new logic board, or find someone else with an identical computer, move the SSD over to that machine. recover the OS, then move the drive back? but who is going to let me do that to their computer, lol.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i didn't remove it because honestly, it seemed like a pain in the A**.

In comparision to that initial "pain in the butt"...how would describe the current situation?

I have at least three major rules that I follow with computers:

1. No beverage drinking near a laptop computer.
2. Always have a back up.
3. Get rid of all (or never use) an EFI password.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hindsight is 20/20

:-(

In many situations this is true. But I've been computing for approx. 28 years. I've been down the "EFI Password" path before...and I've learned my lesson about them LONG ago (that's why it's one of my computing rules listed above). No "Monday Morning Quarterbacking" here.;)

I've known folks who have purchased used computers (with an EFI password) but didn't realize it till they got home...and had no way of contacting the seller to get the EFI password. This is the first time I've heard of someone who purchased a used computer (with an EFI password) AND actually had the password...didn't remove it...and now is stuck.:(

As I'm sure you know...many folks make passwords that mean something to them. So if they happen to forget their password (and don't have it written down somewhere)...they at least have a fighting chance to "guess at it". But when someone purchases a used computer from a stranger (with a password)...guessing at it is almost impossible (you could try "password"...but I doubt it will work).

Honestly I would love to help you...but Apple has made things much more difficult than it used to be (which is good & bad). I'm surprised that Apple is being so strict. I've purchased lots & lots of used computers (with Applecare remaining on them)...took it to the Apple Store for repair...and have never had a problem. The "rule" was...whomever had physical ownership of the computer was the new owner.

So I'm surprised to hear Apple being so strict with the proof of ownership/proof of purchase requirement. I understand why they are doing it...it just has never been their policy in the past to require this.

Good luck...I hope that you find some sort of solution.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Read the following Article: LINK

The Apple Genius bar will reset or remove the firmware password if you have proof that the MacBook Air is legally yours. That would require a bill of sale from the original owner.

By the way, the method that is used by Apple is to open the machine and discharge or remove what is stored in ROM. This is something that only they can do unless some hacker somewhere has found out how it can be done.

OP
R
Reaction score
well the problem is i was dumb and in a rush, and dont have any type of proof of purchase.

now lets say i were to somehow "find" the bill of sale... for said computer, would that need to be notarized? or would a simple printed document suffice?

also, would i just be able to buy a new logic board? or harvest one from an otherwise broken machine?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You would need a bill of sale from the previous owner. It doesn't matter when he gives it to you as long as he was the legal owner and registered with Apple. As for swapping out the logic board, forget it. It would be just as economical to buy a new one by the time you were through.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well the problem is i was dumb and in a rush, and dont have any type of proof of purchase.

I would not say you were dumb.:) I've probably bought and sold 25+ Apple computers via Craig's List over the last 5+ years...and I've never asked for, been given, or been asked by the buyer for a bill of sale.

Craig's List is a "cash economy"...just like a garage sale, yard sale, etc. Bill's of Sale just aren't the norm...and other than this EFI password reset issue...a Bill of Sale or proof of ownership has never been required by the Apple Store.

One caveat...I have bought & sold automobiles & motorcycles on Craig's List...and have done Bill of Sales with these transactions. Mostly because of the legal aspects of the DMV and Titling paperwork.

also, would i just be able to buy a new logic board? or harvest one from an otherwise broken machine?

This is generally not a viable option. Working logic boards for Apple computers (especially newer models)...sell for quite a bit. Folks selling them know that they are worth quite a bit...since the cost of having them replaced by the Apple Store generally runs $500+.

Just check websites like eBay, ifixit.com, or Powerbookmedic.com...and you will see what I mean.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
OP
R
Reaction score
well....

I "came across" my bill of sale.

im going to go back down there and see if that works. if not ill throw it up on ebay 'as is' /'for parts does not boot' with a detailed description for like $250, use that money to get myself a chromebook to hold me over for now (i have a windows based rig i use for gaming as well that i can fall back on) and let my girlfriend use my beautiful 2012 13" MBP with home rolled fusion drive for the time being. she needs it more then i do right now as she is in school.

thanks for the help/bad news guys! lol B-)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, you're not eligible to use our Buy Sell Trade forum because you're a new member. You're also not allowed to advertise anything for sale in any other forum. However, what you do privately by email is your business. However, if you in fact do have a bill of sale from the original owner, Apple should remove the password for you. There may be a service charge to do it, but I would think they'll do it for free. Anyway, let us know how it went.

OP
R
Reaction score
chscag,

i looked into the rules and even went to the buy/sell forum rules and did not come across new member restrictions.

how long or how many posts before i can participate?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We purposely do not announce the requirements for obvious reasons - otherwise we'll have folks trying to "fudge" the system. Take my word for it, you're not eligible - yet. If you need to sell something quickly you may well be better off advertising on Craig's List or your local "Green Sheet".

OP
R
Reaction score
We purposely do not announce the requirements for obvious reasons - otherwise we'll have folks trying to "fudge" the system. Take my word for it, you're not eligible - yet. If you need to sell something quickly you may well be better off advertising on Craig's List or your local "Green Sheet".

Yeah,

this is not something i would feel comfortable selling on CL in the condition it is in if the apple store cant help. people on ebay or this community would have a better idea of what they were buying, i feel like i would be taking advantaage of someone on CL.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah,

this is not something i would feel comfortable selling on CL in the condition it is in if the apple store cant help. people on ebay or this community would have a better idea of what they were buying, i feel like i would be taking advantaage of someone on CL.

There are a lot of "professional" sellers on CL (computer flippers) in almost every city…or very knowledgeable individuals (could even be a repair professional). One of these guys may know how to reset the password. So as long as you're giving full disclosure of this firmware password issue…I wouldn't see a problem selling it on CL.

The computer is in perfect condition except for the password. So it's not like it has a hidden hardware issue.

- Nick

p.s. One other thought. I don't know if this would be considered any sort of ethical issue (I think that it's pretty clear you are the legal owner of this computer). But you could advertise on CL for professional help resetting the password.

p.p.s. All of this assumes that Apple continues to deny to help you…even with the "Bill of Sale" you mentioned finding.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem with selling on eBay is the fee that you pay for the service. While it may be safer to sell on eBay and use PayPal, the fee can be a show stopper especially if you're only selling one item. There's no problem selling on Craig's List if you stay local, deal in cash, and do the transaction in a safe public place. I sold my white MacBook using a "Green Sheet" (supermarket paper) advertisement and met the buyer in a Chinese Restaurant for a cash sale.

OP
R
Reaction score
The problem with selling on eBay is the fee that you pay for the service. While it may be safer to sell on eBay and use PayPal, the fee can be a show stopper especially if you're only selling one item. There's no problem selling on Craig's List if you stay local, deal in cash, and do the transaction in a safe public place. I sold my white MacBook using a "Green Sheet" (supermarket paper) advertisement and met the buyer in a Chinese Restaurant for a cash sale.

not to get way off the end here, but no that is not the problem with eBay, they provide a service, and when a service is provided to me I do not mind paying a marginal fee.

The problem with ebay is they do not require all buyers to pay right away. So what happens, especially when you are selling high fraud items (like cell phones and high end PC's, or any modern popular tech) is you will have a legit bid war going, and then at the last minute someone new will come in with a bid about 25% higher then anyone else, so the bidding stops. Then, they wait about 48 hours and "mark the item as paid" even though ebay still states "buyer has not paid for this item." the buyer does this hoping some poor old lady who does not know how to use the interwebz will ship it, never get payment, and as soon as the item is on the ups truck its as good as gone (stolen). They end up deleting the eBay account a week later and they make a new one, then repeat. Happened to me 6 times in the past 3 or 4 months, and its super frustrating. Now while i have never been screwed out of money by this, its annoying because in order to get your "final value fee" back you have to go through eBays process, which takes about a week to complete, before reposting. Combine that by the fact paypal takes 5-21 days to get you your money, then another 3-5 to get into your bank account, it can be months before you complete a sale from posting to money in your account. Horrible. Ebay leaves it like this on purpose, knowing full well of the fraud going on. Their end game is a) you can only require buyers to make immediate payments if you are a "Paypal Plus" user, which costs money; and b) it is my understanding they own most of paypal. Its insanity. Happened to me selling my BBq10, my Galaxy Nexus, my girlfriends old '08 MBA. Just a shame and waste of time

/rant

and yes, i 100% got this computer legally. I would think apple would be able to look at my apple ID's device history and see that i put a copy of Mountain Loin registered under me on the machine on 9/2/13 and that would just be that. I have been (well my lady has been) using this device for several months, and clearly had access past the EFI. And i did an APPLE APPROVED SW update that rendered the item non operational, but i guess its not that simple.

Let this be a lesson to those who have EFI passwords and do not need them, or al least peace of mind for people who believe EFI passwords are important. Apple does not play when it comes to these, which is the purpose in the first place.

I will let you guys know what happens, and if i still have the computer and its stuck in this condition when i have the tenure to sell on here, ill be sure to give 'dibs' to you kind folks.

this seems like a great community! i love finding great forums to be apart of. I frequent XDA for my phone needs {sorry, team Android ;-)} and a car forum for my ION Redline that have helped me SOOOOOO much in the past and it seems like i can come here for the same kind of help.

thanks.

OP
R
Reaction score
Update:

With a Bill of sale, the folks at apple were able to fix me up.

As of 02/14, at my local apple store, they did not have a charge for this service, even though i did not have AC+ or Warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.