Error -8003 emptying trash

Reaction score
I have been getting persistent error -8003 trying to empty trash on Mac OS 10.6.8, even after reboot.

I eventually succeeded by moving files out of trash and re-deleting them in batches, each time emptying trash. This seemed to work. But of course this shouldn't be necessary and I'm concerned there's some underlying problem needing to be fixed.

Has anyone else hit this one? (I've looked through this forum without success).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How much are you attempting to empty from Trash at once and do you have write permissions for all the deletions? You stated that you can empty the Trash in smaller amounts. Read through the following article which explains what error 8003 means when attempting to empty the Trash: LINK

OP
M
Reaction score
Many thanks for the reply. The article looks highly relevant although I'm not aware of not having the right permissions. Perhaps problem started because I was trying to delete trash from USB drive at the same time.

Thanks again

- Malcolm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As with Windows, when deleting from an external hard drive, leave the drive connected and powered up until after the Trash has emptied. Otherwise the items simply return to the trash on next connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.