Software for new Mac user.

C

CHR15B

Ok, I'm in the process of switching to Tiger, from Windows XP.

What can I use for MP3, I'm not a fan of iTunes. I like Windows Media and Winamp so something similar would be ideal!

Web Design - I current use Frontpage, is there a similar application for OSX?

Photo Editing - I use the GIMP in Linux or Photoshop in windows, can I get the GIMP for mac?

Some links to pages would be useful, thanks

OP
P

PowerbookG417

similar to winamp might be VLC but its not very user friendly..maybe if you give itunes a little bit more of a try for a couple of weeks you might learn to love it.

Webdesign - the new iweb might work well for you, dreamweaver might be a little to advance check on www.versiontracker.com for web design software.

Photo-editing - photoshop still.. maybe iphoto depending on what you wnat to do, graphics-convertor, and im sure you can get gimp just need to run it in X11

you can also find more software on www.macupdate.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
PowerbookG417 said:
similar to winamp might be VLC but its not very user friendly..maybe if you give itunes a little bit more of a try for a couple of weeks you might learn to love it.

Webdesign - the new iweb might work well for you, dreamweaver might be a little to advance check on www.versiontracker.com for web design software.

Photo-editing - photoshop still.. maybe iphoto depending on what you wnat to do, graphics-convertor, and im sure you can get gimp just need to run it in X11

you can also find more software on www.macupdate.com

i hated itunes on my windows machine until 6.?.? came out and now i hate media player. I have tried vlc on my mac but h8 it. so hard to use.

cheers and gd luck

chris tm :mac:

OP
R

robertday

christm said:
i hated itunes on my windows machine until 6.?.? came out and now i hate media player. I have tried vlc on my mac but h8 it. so hard to use.

cheers and gd luck

chris tm :mac:

I hated iTunes on my Windows and it was rubbish, it all looked so bulky! But now I have Mac I love iTunes, try it out i learned to love it and use it every day. Its amazing!

Also try iWeb it is a really simple program with iLife '06 for websites.... :headphone

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Gimp is avalible for OSX. You also have to install X11 from the OSX DVD. It works just like the Linux version for the bit I have used it.

OP
K

kcoates55

If you're making the switch from Windows XP to Tiger, why in the world would you keep those Windows-based applications? Take the plunge. Switch over all the way. Maybe you'll like the Mac applications after a little time to get used to them. The integration of the Apple software is so painless and smooth. And if after a while, you just can't handle it, well, you can always go back.

Reaction score
For someone who uses linux I don't think VLC will be too hard to work out! VLC is very good at playing lots of different video formats.

For web design, you might want to look at NVU (open source freeware, and it's available for windows, linux and osx).

I don't know of any alternatives for mp3 music players, I've been happy with itunes since I got my mac. Is there anything in particular that annoys you or you don't like? maybe it can be changed if so.

As others have said, you can get the gimp (to install X11 you need to do a bit of hunting on the DVD, I think you need to run a package called "Install additional software" and then you have to select X11 as something you want to install).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 X 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2GB RAM Mac OS X 10.5
Amen.

kcoates55 said:
If you're making the switch from Windows XP to Tiger, why in the world would you keep those Windows-based applications? Take the plunge. Switch over all the way. Maybe you'll like the Mac applications after a little time to get used to them. The integration of the Apple software is so painless and smooth. And if after a while, you just can't handle it, well, you can always go back.

Amen to that, and then some. Once you go Mac, there just isn't any going back...

The multi-platform apps (Photoshop, Freehand, Flash, etc.) for the Mac run as well as, or better than their Windows counterparts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.