MacBook Pro with Two External Displays

Reaction score
Is it possible to daisy chain Two 24" Apple HD displays (2007) to a late 2012 (non-retina) 15" Macbook Pro. Im using the Mac in clamshell mode in a WhiteTip docking station.

For the first year, I got a mini-display port to DVI adapter and just ran 1 of the external displays. This week, I bought a $100 adapter from Apple (Apple Mini MB571Z/A DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter) that seemingly promised to allow me to run both of my external displays.

I can only seem to get one of the displays to work at a time. Is this the wrong adapter? Is this setup even possible?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Edit: I just noticed you meant Apple displays and not regular monitors.. Not sure if you can daisy chain those on that model.. But you should be able to get a HDMI to Display Port cable for one side and a DP to DP for the other monitor.. Which sadly isn't daisy chaining..

I would like to know myself also..

As in regard to the adapter, chunk it.. They don't work with dual displays, it has something to do with the signal. There are some youtube videos about this. But a cable with no adapter worked best for me. The adapter is the issue.

Old Post:
Yes, I think so. How many Display Ports do you have? You can also use a combination of Display Port and HDMI port. Which is what I do on my Mac Mini.
I am using a HDMI to DVI cable and a DisplayPort to DVI cable also..
Stay away from Adapters, they degrade signal strength.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't believe you're going to "daisy chain" them. The monitors have no video passthrough port which would be required to "daisy chain".

Considering you only have a single video output port, you are going to need something like the dualhead2go - link (this one creates a single screen across 2 monitors).

You might also look for a USB to displayport card (then you'd need a DP to mDP adapter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
OR go the Apple TV route, and have one Monitor hooked hardwired into your MBP and then the other with the help of AirPlay, have your MBP mirror to the other display . . . . Ooops hang on that, as I'm not 100% sure ATV works on a Display as to a TV . . . Disregard

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is it possible to daisy chain Two 24" Apple HD displays (2007) to a late 2012 (non-retina) 15" Macbook Pro.

Give this link a read concerning connecting multiple external displays to a newer Apple laptop/notebook:

Are there any adapters or "hacks" that make it possible to connect a second external display to a MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro model? @ EveryMac.com

This week, I bought a $100 adapter from Apple (Apple Mini MB571Z/A DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter) that seemingly promised to allow me to run both of my external displays.

That $100 adapter is for "adapting" the much older 30" Apple Cinema Display to work with newer Apple computers. The Product Description (in the link below)…clearly states this (nothing regarding multiple monitors):

Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

I can only seem to get one of the displays to work at a time. Is this the wrong adapter?

Unfortunately yes. This product will not do what you want it to do.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.