I may have killed my Ipod...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 12" G4 OSX10.4.3, 768mb RAM, La Cie 160gb Mini Ext HD, La Cie d2 Ext DVD Burner
I have a 4thh Gen Ipod and I think I may have brought on its demise.
Last week I went to update my ipod with some new songs I'd ripped. Because I have my iTunes library on a La Cie 160gb Mini ext-hardrive I daisy-chained my ipod into the spare firewire port on that. This had worked just fine the first and only time i'd tried this before, but this time it wasn't picking up my ipod and showing it in itunes, although the ipod did show itself as connected to something. I unconnected and the ipod played fine. The next evening I dumped my library back onto my Powerbook temporarily so I could try again and update directly. This time there was no recognition of ipod, just a message saying something about not being able to read the inserted disk. It gave me 3 options, initialize, cancel or eject. I chose eject. Anytime I've tried to charge my ipod or connect to my powerbook since, I just get the apple logo flicking on the screen with some kind of skipping noise every few seconds. I've run the battery down, tried resetting etc, but the screen just keeps flicking and my computer won't recognise my ipod, oh, and I don't even get the 3 options anymore!!!!
Am pulling my hair out. Any help would be greatly appreciated, but I fear the worst.
Many thanks in advance
Ronan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i forget exactly how to do it, but grab your users manual and reset your ipod. it will erase everything, and bring it back to factory settings
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
coach_z said:
i forget exactly how to do it, but grab your users manual and reset your ipod. it will erase everything, and bring it back to factory settings
-chris
You download the iPod updater, launch it, plug your iPod in, and click restore.

P

PowerbookG417

the reset on the 4th gen i believe is turn hold on and then off, then press and hold the forward and back button at the same time. that will reset it, if that doesnt work then try the restore.

does the ipod function properly when connected directly to the poewrbook ?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 12" G4 OSX10.4.3, 768mb RAM, La Cie 160gb Mini Ext HD, La Cie d2 Ext DVD Burner
Thanks for your suggestions.
Ipod won't function at all when plugged into powerbook or into charger. My powerbook doesn't even pick up that it has an ipod plugged into it's firewire port (this port is working fine with other hardware) and therefore the ipod updater restore won't work because it doesn't know there's anything there to restore. Manual reset not working either.
All I'm getting is the apple logo on screen and it flickers with some noise every 5 / 6 seconds.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGH

Ronan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
PowerbookG417 said:
the reset on the 4th gen i believe is turn hold on and then off, then press and hold the forward and back button at the same time. that will reset it, if that doesnt work then try the restore.

does the ipod function properly when connected directly to the poewrbook ?
No, its holding down the Menu and Centre button

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Ronan Armstrong said:
Thanks for your suggestions.
Ipod won't function at all when plugged into powerbook or into charger. My powerbook doesn't even pick up that it has an ipod plugged into it's firewire port (this port is working fine with other hardware) and therefore the ipod updater restore won't work because it doesn't know there's anything there to restore. Manual reset not working either.
All I'm getting is the apple logo on screen and it flickers with some noise every 5 / 6 seconds.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGH

Ronan
Are you still under warranty?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope. Warranty expired about 2 weeks ago!
and Reset won't work, already tried menu and select buttons. Am about to go to london so I'll call to Apple Store and ask their advice, but don't think it'll be good news.
So any more advice or ideas very welcome.
And now i have to get a train listening to an old minidisc player which has no music from the last 18 months - it just goes from bad to worse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Ronan Armstrong said:
Nope. Warranty expired about 2 weeks ago!
If it's just 2 weeks ago Apple might let you go by with free repairs, they are a very lenient company.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.