Unreliable email

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 2.93 GHz Quad, 16 GB ram, 2TB H/disk, ATI Radeon HD 5750 - 1024GB & Ipad Pro 64GB non cellr
Having upgraded when offered the opportunity to do so, I now wish I hadn't. My system with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 ran perfectly for a year and since running Mavericks I now find my Email handling unreliable . I never know whether it download Email from iCloud or not. I've been in discussion with Apple Support on this issue and so far, they have been unable to resolve my problem, short of creating another user account which appears to work, but is a clumsy 'fix'. So in short, knowing what I know now, I would not take up the 'offer' to upgrade. My system is fully capable of running Mavericks, and I fail to understand why my Email management is incapable of 'saving' and retaining my iCloud passwords for future use. I've wasted a lot of time trying to resolve this issue and believe, I'm not alone in this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
My system with Snow Leopard 10.8 ran perfectly for a year ...

I think you mean 10.6.8 there, which I've recently upgraded to from 10.5.8 Leopard. So far, my biggest regret is that Spaces and Office are not playing nice with each other. So you are correct; you are not alone.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to its own thread and to forum "OS X Apps and Games"

Your post was moved and given its own thread and title. You tagged your post to the end of another thread which had an entirely different subject.

M

MacInWin

Then go back. Use the install disks that came with your machine and reformat the drive to get rid of everything and reinstall. Nobody is forcing you to stay on Mavericks. Make a backup of your data beforehand and restore once you're done reinstalling whatever version you had.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 2.93 GHz Quad, 16 GB ram, 2TB H/disk, ATI Radeon HD 5750 - 1024GB & Ipad Pro 64GB non cellr
Thanks for suggestion to completely re-install, but it is rather a very big step to take, simply to resolve what should be a basic function of any OS. I'm assuming, perhaps wrongly that Apple will soon come up with 'fix', as they're clearly aware of the problem from what I gathered recently according to members of their Support Team

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Downloaded the OS X.9.1 update? Also another OS X.9.2 is on the way maybe this week - seeded to developers a week ago.

C

chas_m

10.9.2 probably not coming out anytime real soon (like a week or so). Look for it late next month.

I am aware that Mail is still having some difficulties with certain kinds of Gmail accounts and some smart folders that deal with same. Other than that it is working perfectly for me, not sure what else to tell you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
... they have been unable to resolve my problem, short of creating another user account which appears to work, but is a clumsy 'fix'.

Clumsy or not, if you can't diagnose the problem to a finer level of specificity, and creating another account actually fixes the problem, you're better off being clumsy than clueless. If the new account does not fix the problem, at least you learn the drill for when it will actually be a quicker cure to what ails your Mac. And thanks for the opportunity to make that suggestion. I have a nagging problem and I've just decided I'm going to try that step myself!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.