Macbook Hangs on Restart During Mavericks Install, Won't get through Post

Reaction score
I tried installing Mavericks over Snow Leopard. Went fine untill the machine rebooted. Now I'm stuck. It doesn't get through Post. To add to the problem is that the screen is cracked and I can't hook up to an external monitor so I'm left in a virtual ****. I've tried all the commands back out of this mess. The only one that seems to get me anywhere is logging in Verbose Mode. Unfortunately I can only see a small portion of the screen in the left corner and can't get any further. It appears the only way to get beyond this is to get into a terminal screen. If I could, I wouldn't even know where to start cause I don't do any work in it. Any ideas how to get out of this situation and get my machine back?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Unfortunately without your computer specs...as a starting point we cannot verify if it can run Mavericks.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any ideas how to get out of this situation and get my machine back?

I'm assuming you tried clamshell mode? However, I guess if the machine became hung up during the install of Mavericks, you would not be able to switch over to your external monitor.

Probably wasn't a good idea to attempt the upgrade with a broken screen. Why not replace the screen now that things are at a standstill? You didn't mention which model you have but you should be able to replace that screen yourself for less than $150.00.

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm assuming you tried clamshell mode? However, I guess if the machine became hung up during the install of Mavericks, you would not be able to switch over to your external monitor.

Probably wasn't a good idea to attempt the upgrade with a broken screen. Why not replace the screen now that things are at a standstill? You didn't mention which model you have but you should be able to replace that screen yourself for less than $150.00.
I have a Mid 2009 Macbook, White Running OSX 6.8. I backed up to an external usb and my dad erased the BU. Also my Mini DVI to RGB dongle crapped out.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think its the part inside the machine. Tried a couple of others and no go. Cant find a replacement for that part.

Ok…that's a different situation if it's not really the dongle.

So this begs the question. If the built-in display is cracked (thus hard to see things)…and the video out port is not working...how really useable is this computer?

Without repairing either or both of these issues (if you can't properly see anything this computer is doing)…this is a VERY big computing limitation of this unit.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Point well taken. Can I revert to my old OS so that my data will be intact? I'm mostly interested in the data because, as I mentioned before, my backup has been erased. The drive was also reformatted to to Windows.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can I revert to my old OS so that my data will be intact? I'm mostly interested in the data because, as I mentioned before, my backup has been erased. The drive was also reformatted to to Windows.

If the drive has been reformatted to Windows...recovering your data is going to be difficult. Reformatting a hard drive is generally not the thing to do if someone still wants access to the data on it.

The procedure is...you recover the data first (storing it on another storage device)...then the hard drive is reformatted (in this case for Windows).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.