New mac user

Reaction score
Yes I did it!!
I got my first Mac, well not really because my older brother did have an Apple IIe back in the day.
I suppose that’s not a Mac anyway.

Anyhow I got an Intel imac, I guess the Ads. Sucked me in but in my course we mostly use Macs so that is another reason I got a Mac.

My first impression of Macs is they are bloody confusing, I got no idea, it took me 10 minutes to figure out how to make a folder on my desktop because for some reason the option was grey out, I don’t know what I did but I done it in the end, wish i could just right click new folder, also its weird how the programs close but don’t close if you know what I mean.
I got no idea if a program is open unless i look at the top L/H corner.

Is there I way I can use the right click button the same as windows?? Because im not a keyboard shortcut man and I would prefer to use one hand for simple tasks.

I guess you guys are laughing at my problems, the other guys in my class laugh at me when I press something in the dock by mistake or the program disappears because I moved my mouse somewhere wrong and I trip out " where has my program gone" LOL

I am getting used to it slowly and the more I use it the more I like it, one thing I must say it looks allot more graphically polished the Windows. (not that I care about that, I have my XP PC set to the old grey 2000 style and turn of all the effects to make it run .1 of a second faster :spook: )

So i am really impressed with the imac as far as all in one units goes.
Who knows i may become to love the Mac OSX, but i not ready to give windows the boot yet.

I think if you take the best things from windows and the best things from Mac OSX, i think that would be some sort of OS.

But at the moment i am going crazy, no right click kills me, guess i have to learn the keyboard. Its like using Mac OSX uses a differant part of my brain or something.

Go back and forth is doing my head in!!

Thanks for listening to my 2 cents i sure its only going to get better

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
right click is easy as you have a mighty mouse.
System Prefs > Keyboard & Mouse > Mouse
Then set the mighty mouse to be a 2 click mouse :)

As for the open programs look at your dock, if they have a little triangle below them then it means that they are open

Hope these help

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for that, i wondered what the right mouse button does.
Does that mean i can, say right click and make a new folder or right click and veiw profiles of something?

I guess im just not used to it.
I only had it for 5 days so i will get it in the end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
Yes you can do those functions plus you can also change your background settings and make new polders to burn off onto a disc.

I

init6

You can create new folders on both the desktop and other folders/subfolders by simply press Shift-Cmd-N. Command is the "Apple" key.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
welcome to our world, once you get used to it you will love it!

remember that keyboard shortcuts are the greatest thing ever....i dont plan on using my mouse for the next 20 minutes or so while browsing this forum....
-chris

B

bfx

I'm a soon to be Mac user in the form a MacMini to be used for internet access AND as a test bed for swiching to primarily Macs from Windows (by converting them into more Linux boxes).

I can see the advantages to both hot keys and multiple mouse buttons.

I'm with applepissue on the right click thing for several reasons -

1 - I have limited mobility in my left arm

2 - I went from one of the first 250 Apple ][ integer basic systems made (think $80 - $120 for a 12 Kb, not 12 Mb, memory upgrade) to generations of Amigas so I've been mousing for a long time.

3 - Because of that I find mousing very fast compared to the contortions needed for hot key combos in just about any OS.

4 - my main app - a photo realistic 3D animation program - makes extensive use of two - preferably three - clickable buttons plus a scroll wheel on a PC. You don't want to even think about the sometimes 5 key combos needed in the Mac version.

Most likely I'll stay with a Windows box for that app along with a couple more for distributed network rendering.

And a couple of Linux boxes for Linux-only apps.

But I'm looking forward to the partial transiton to Mac.

bfx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powermacG5 2.3ghz 2gig ram running logicpro7
ive got a question about programs being open (in the dock) but not on the screen. how the **** do i maximise them again from the dock ?

as i've been quitting the program from the dock and restarting it

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
tiger2 said:
ive got a question about programs being open (in the dock) but not on the screen. how the **** do i maximise them again from the dock ?

as i've been quitting the program from the dock and restarting it

You just click on the icon in the dock for the open program. I just did it here to be sure.

OP
A
Reaction score
eeerrr, im not into this keyboard shortcuts for everything and have to go to the file menu all the time, seems the long way around if you ask me.
I thought macs were supposed to be easy to use?

I think Apple and Microsoft deliberately make things totally opposite just to screw with us, like the way you resize windows the position of the close, open and minimize buttons. Stupid things like if I control c to copy something on the PC the Apple button is in a different position to the control on the PC, so imp like pressing control C on the Mac and nothing happens till I realise that I have to use the Apple key

Also I find it strange that if you close something on the Mac you only close the window and not the program I have to go to the file menu or learn another short cut I suppose, I would much rather simply click on the cross to close a program then having to use the file menu or short cut

B

BoingoBongo

I'm new to OSX too. It was a little more confusing at first, but I like it more and more. I think most of the problems I've had stem from me trying to make things more complicated because of my background with another OS...hehe...

I love how "polished" it is. I know that doesn't really affect anything, but I like having my more-than-2,000-dollar machine run like the computers in all those movies that take place in the future in stuff. It's not necessary, but it sure is nice.

T

Tiranis

applepissue: That's how stuff works on Mac. Did you expect that Mac is going to be better and still the same as Windows? Wake up, please.

I still don't get why it is that you assume that the Windows way is the right way? Maybe the Mac way is the right way? :-\

Keyboard shortcuts are the same for all programs: Command+Q to quit program, Command+H to hide program, Command+W to close current window. There's plenty of other useful shortcuts (Command+N, Command+T, etc.) and the good thing is the shortcuts are the same for every application, unlike on Windows.

And I don't get what your problem with using the menu on top is? It's much easier than having menu for each window, because you don't have to guess where to move your mouse—you just drag it up, always the same place.

Just stop looking for your old Windows in your new Mac.

Reaction score
applepissue said:
I think Apple and Microsoft deliberately make things totally opposite just to screw with us, like the way you resize windows the position of the close, open and minimize buttons. Stupid things like if I control c to copy something on the PC the Apple button is in a different position to the control on the PC, so imp like pressing control C on the Mac and nothing happens till I realise that I have to use the Apple key
You have to blame Microsoft. It switched the copy and paste keys to Control-C and Control V when it copied Apple's GUI. In another effort to look different, MS stuck the desktop icons on the left.
Also I find it strange that if you close something on the Mac you only close the window and not the program I have to go to the file menu or learn another short cut I suppose, I would much rather simply click on the cross to close a program then having to use the file menu or short cut
MS does it that way, according to what is receding into myth, because the old DOS commands required the extra toolbars, and the app would quit when the window closed. MS sold the bug as a feature.

Command-Q quits any program, while Command-W simply closes the window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
But at the moment i am going crazy, no right click kills me, guess i have to learn the keyboard. Its like using Mac OSX uses a differant part of my brain or something.

Yeah it does feel like that at first, don't worry you will get used to it and it will eventually become second nature, juat don't try and use expose on Windows that's all, it doesn't work. :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Tiranis said:
applepissue: That's how stuff works on Mac. Did you expect that Mac is going to be better and still the same as Windows? Wake up, please.

I still don't get why it is that you assume that the Windows way is the right way? Maybe the Mac way is the right way? :-\

Keyboard shortcuts are the same for all programs: Command+Q to quit program, Command+H to hide program, Command+W to close current window. There's plenty of other useful shortcuts (Command+N, Command+T, etc.) and the good thing is the shortcuts are the same for every application, unlike on Windows.

And I don't get what your problem with using the menu on top is? It's much easier than having menu for each window, because you don't have to guess where to move your mouse—you just drag it up, always the same place.

Just stop looking for your old Windows in your new Mac.

I dont think think mac OSX is better and i never expected it to be the same.
I think Windows is just easier to use and i can be more lazy using windows and not have to use 2 hands all the time and think of what short cut i have to use next or have to go to the file menu all the time also.

Enough of that anyway, Windows is Windows Mac is Mac.

How ever am preety much used to Mac OSX Now and i am liking it a whole lot more :)

What i would like to know is if i have 3 Windows open and (one window at the front covering the others and i want to make the second or third window come to the front, how do i do that currently i drag my mouse to the bottom R/H corner show it shows evething i have open then select the window i want to come to the front. is there a better way to do this?

T

Tiranis

Try these: F9, F10, and F11. (The same function, just pressing keyboard shortcuts... don't know how much easier it can get.)

F9: Shows all the currently open windows.
F10: Shows all the windows of the currently selected application.
F11: Shows you your desktop by sliding currently open windows out of the view.

Read more about this here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/expose/

Now, on another note, give me example of one thing you didn't have to use menu for (and how you did it) in Windows and you have to use menu for in OS X.

OP
A
Reaction score
Tiranis said:
Try these: F9, F10, and F11. (The same function, just pressing keyboard shortcuts... don't know how much easier it can get.)

F9: Shows all the currently open windows.
F10: Shows all the windows of the currently selected application.
F11: Shows you your desktop by sliding currently open windows out of the view.

Read more about this here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/expose/

Now, on another note, give me example of one thing you didn't have to use menu for (and how you did it) in Windows and you have to use menu for in OS X.

In Photoshop on Windows i can right click on a image and go to images size, you cant on the Mac you have to go to the top menus on Mac or of course use shortcut.

I gave you one example because you asked! im not trying to flame this thread further.

On your advice on using F9, F10, F11 Thanks!!
This is another case where i have to use 2 hands on the Mac, i dont want to use my left hand if i dont have to, i think its much easier just clicking on the Window u want from the task bar and just using the one hand and the mouse..
But in saying that im finding the Mac OSX very easy to use now, guess i just got lazy using windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
A) Use Expose
B) Ctrl + tab (or command + tab) not sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
applepissue said:
What i would like to know is if i have 3 Windows open and (one window at the front covering the others and i want to make the second or third window come to the front, how do i do that currently i drag my mouse to the bottom R/H corner show it shows evething i have open then select the window i want to come to the front. is there a better way to do this?

Just use the dock like your task bar, if you want to select from more than one window in a single app you can use F10 or right click on the apps icon in the dock and choose it directly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.