All desktop files and Folders disappeared / moved

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 9,1 Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz, 2gb RAM, Snow Leopard, Macbook 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, SL
Hello,

All my desktop files and folders (I had a lot covering the whole screen) have disappeared, leaving only the Macintosh Hard drive icon.

If I click on the finder it now shows a folder in the sidebar called desktop which contains all these files and folders and a removable drive which also contains these files and folders. If I where to drag it from the sidebar it would disappear and I can not copy and paste them.

When I click on Finder > Mac Hard drive > Users
my username shows up as a removable drive rather than a folder.

What has happened and how can I get my desktop back to normal?

Many Thanks

P.S. When I try and create a new folder on the desktop the following error occurs:
"The operation could not be completed. An unexpected error occured (error code - 8058)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We have to ask.... what did you do prior to this happening? And do you have a backup?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 9,1 Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz, 2gb RAM, Snow Leopard, Macbook 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, SL
We have to ask.... what did you do prior to this happening? And do you have a backup?

I just logged on. Prior to that the computer was off. Yesterday I used it to check emails and everything was in order.

The files and folders are still there (somewhere) just not on the desktop and can't be moved back there.

The desktop has become a folder and a removable drive within the Finder. The items wont copy and paste and the desktop does not allow new folder to be created.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
As chscag mentioned do you have a backup?
If you do and its Time Machine you can enter into TM and select date that the desktop was to your liking and hit restore and the problem is solved.

C

chas_m

Your desktop file got corrupted for all the crap you are keeping on your desktop. Get out of that practice -- as you can see, it causes issues.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update: After 2 reboots it has reappeared as normal. Meanwhile I am moving and deleting stuff.

Surely the amount of files on my desktop doesn't make it go corrupted!?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Keeping a ton a junk on the desktop is an extremely bad habit. Just don't do it. Put your stuff in the proper folders where they belong. The desktop is not that place.

M

MacInWin

CLIP...
The desktop has become a folder and a removable drive within the Finder. The items wont copy and paste and the desktop does not allow new folder to be created.
The Desktop is ALWAYS a folder. It's located at /Users/<yourusername>/Desktop and it holds there the files and stuff you put on the desktop. I don't know what you did to cause the desktop not to display, but happy that the reboots got it back for you. Although having a ton of stuff on the Desktop won't actually corrupt anything (It's just another folder, after all) it is considered a poor practice and can lead to user problems. As bobtomay said, "Just don't do it." Although the Desktop is, in fact, a folder that is displayed on the screen, it's not intended as the place to store stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.