Will LOTR game run on OSx 10.5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 9,1 Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz, 2gb RAM, Snow Leopard, Macbook 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, SL
hello,

I have a 2009 Imac computer running OSx 10.5.8

I'm wondering whether The Lord of the Rings - Return of the King game will run on my system?

I am aware that the game is old - originally released in 2003 by Eagames and later released for mac through Aspyr in 2004. Obviously my system is much newer but I'm wondering whether it will run on a new system.

I read on a customer review on Amazon that it did not run on OSx Lion but I'm wondering whether it will run on 10.5.8? Also if I upgrade to latest OSx 10.9 is it unlikely to work?

Maybe it is safer to buy the windows version and run it with bootcamp?

Look forward to hearing peoples thoughts about running this game - whether you have actually tried this game or not.
Many Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Had to feed the Google monster a few times before I found something relevant. As far as I can tell the system requirements are
Minimum System Requirements:

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.2.8 | Processor: PowerPC G4 | CPU Speed 800 MHz (1GHz or faster recommended) | Memory: 256 MB or higher Hard Disk Space| Video Card (ATI): Radeon 7500 or better | Video Card (NVidia): GeForce2 MX or better | Video Memory (VRam): 32 MB or higher | Media Required: DVD Drive | Peripherals: Macintosh mouse and keyboard.

Looks like you're Ok on the system requirements unless I missed something. If you're interested apparently it can be found here for about $15

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 9,1 Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz, 2gb RAM, Snow Leopard, Macbook 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, SL
Had to feed the Google monster a few times before I found something relevant. As far as I can tell the system requirements are

Looks like you're Ok on the system requirements unless I missed something. If you're interested apparently it can be found here for about $15

Thanks for your response. The system requirements as such will be easily met. I'm just wondering whether the newer Operating System will support the old game?
According to an Amazon customer review it didn't work on OSx Lion.

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it isn't available though. :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to an Amazon customer review it didn't work on OSx Lion.

That's because that particular game is PPC coded and can't run on anything later than Snow Leopard. OS X versions post Snow Leopard no longer have the Rosetta emulator.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's because that particular game is PPC coded and can't run on anything later than Snow Leopard. OS X versions post Snow Leopard no longer have the Rosetta emulator.

Thanks for the reply. That is very helpful.
So it will work on all versions of Snow Leopard but nothing beyond. I assume there is no way to run it on newer OSx say with a special patch or something?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So it will work on all versions of Snow Leopard but nothing beyond. I assume there is no way to run it on newer OSx say with a special patch or something?

Not unless they re-code the game for Intel only. Certain games that were universally coded (both for PPC and Intel) can be patched or the PPC code removed, however, your game was not coded for universal. Stick with Snow Leopard if possible.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not unless they re-code the game for Intel only. Certain games that were universally coded (both for PPC and Intel) can be patched or the PPC code removed, however, your game was not coded for universal. Stick with Snow Leopard if possible.

Thanks again. I might be better off just buying the Windows PC version in that case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Just ring Apple and buy Snow Leopard DVD and install it via a Virtual Machine, or on a separate partition. I think they go for $20US. Either way will work, and when you do install it, make sure you click YES when asked if you want to install Rosetta.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.