Format, reinstall, Upgrade?

Reaction score
I'm intending to format my MacBook Pro and reinstall OSX Lion, then upgrade to Maverick. I have been using the laptop for many years and it is quite a mess so i'm considering a completely fresh start to be the best option, rather than try and clear it up. Is this the wisest option, or is there a way to format and upgrade at the same time?

Also, i'm concerned about a few things. Firstly, i presume my iTunes library can simply be copied to an external drive and reimported, much like my documents? Secondly, i understand my iPhone will see the MacBook as a different computer after the format, how can i avoid this and make it sync as usual?

Any help appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it is a mess, backup to an external drive, download Mavericks, if your MBP can meet the specs. Before running the Installer burn to a USB thumb drive, boot from that, format the hard drive and then run Installer, update to OS X.9.1 and use Migration Assistant to bring things over.

OP
W
Reaction score
Ok cool, i will do that. Thank you for the advice. Regarding the iPhone, will migration assist move all of the phone's details to the 'new' computer? I'm hoping i can just plug the iPhone in and it will just sync as usual rather than thinking i've plugged it into a new machine and, therefore, insist i wipe the thing...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.