• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Thinking of doing the podcast, youtube, blog thing for Photography related stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Hey Everyone,
Like the title says, I am thinking of starting my own youtube and podcast. As well as starting a blog. Wanting to do tutorials, a few hardware reviews when possible and just discuss anything that is loosely related to photography or photography gear. I want to try to put out one episode a week.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or comments. Also would anyone here want to watch, if nothing else you can see me make a fool of myself. :p

Software and Gear I am looking to use:

- Canon G12 for recording video.
It supports 1280x720HD. Which I think will be a good starting point. Does not have onboard mic jack, although testing it today, its as good as a Rode Mic Go, but not as good as a Rode Mic Pro would be.. So its clear, just have to do minor audio adjustments in iMovie.

- iPod Touch5 for audio.
If the on camera audio doesn't pan out, I can always get an external mic and import into iMovie the audio, but never had to sink audio/video before. So this may be interesting. But I will still need a Mic for it for Audio when doing software tutorials on the computer.

- Quicktime recording desktop.
I plan to use Quicktime to record my software tutorials. It seems to work good, if there is any shortcomings to this program please let me know.

- iMovie for production.
I know many use Final Cut. But at this moment, I seen no reason to use FC Pro. Even more so since iMovie comes with my Mac. Plus I seem to have got comfortable with iMovie so far.

So I am open to suggestions, comments, bad advice, you name it. Just let me know what you think.

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I have a major question that I am not sure if the laws have changed in regards to copyrighted music that user (me) composed to Midi many years ago.

Here is the thing. I have lots of great music I put into Midi many years ago back when I had my lovely AMD K6-2 400Mhz system and a Sound Blaster AWE32 sound card. I used to compose songs and in my spare time take sheet music and put music over into Midi tracks. This was before MP3s became the trend.

Well I still have that music and thanks to Apples Garage Band software I am able to use those midis once more and bring new life into them.

I have some music I would like to use in my pod cast and since they are midis I composed based on existing music. Can I still use these? I know Pre year 2000 the law stated that even though its based on copyrighted work, since the user put it into midi format, it is then considered work of the person who made the midi. I am not sure if thats still the case today and wondering if anyone here knows.

For example I have a piano version of Eye of the Tiger I would love to use that I composed years ago. Wondering if I can use this without getting a nasty gram from Youtube and who ever is over Survivors music these days?

Thoughts, comments??

Thanks,
Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
Hey Joe!

Here's the mic I am going to get to put professional sounds with the videos I am amassing. Currently using Go Pro Hero Black for omni-terra biking and aerial vids shot from a quadcopter. It's the Yeti Pro and it should work extremely well for what you want to do on your podcasts. I'll use it not for live filming but for narrations (my quad won't tote that mic! :)

Link: Yeti Pro Microphone Review | Mac|Life

If you are comfortable with iMovie, then by all means continue with it, esp for podcasts. I am currently using Adobe Elements, and although the learning curve has been a little steep, it works very well for me so far.

As for synching sound and your videos, it isn't all that hard. Easiest way, believe it or not, is to get ahold of one of those 'clapper boards' you see used in filming movies and TV shows. It'll put a sharp 'spike' in your audio recording when viewed in your software, and just align the sound track spike with the video shot of the board itself and voila, you are synched. Then just trim it off when you edit your video.

You put together a podcast and I'll tune in! :)

As for your question about using soundtracks, that's a whole can of worms I haven't opened yet myself. Many of the videos I see daily on the Go Pro twitter site have tracks and I just don't see all the videographers getting permission to use the soundtracks and sounds they use. Many videos are just hours to days old and I am sure they did not 'receive permission' from the artist before using them. I guess they figure that there are so many folks out there now posting videos the chances of getting 'caught' are pretty slim.

There are sites out there that do have great music you can use, license/permission free, but I haven't researched it too deeply yet. Too much other stuff going on plus a job from **** that bogs me down.

Not enough time, not enough hours in the day. Sometimes I wish I'd stayed 'semi-retired' instead of getting back in the job force. ;)

Cheers!

Pat

PS-I checked the site you have in your sig....you have some awesome photos there. I was having trouble getting them to enlarge. Not only yours...but others on that site wouldn't enlarge either. Will try again.

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

PS-I checked the site you have in your sig....you have some awesome photos there. I was having trouble getting them to enlarge. Not only yours...but others on that site wouldn't enlarge either. Will try again.

Hey Pat, thanks for the reply.

That mic is looking very close to what I am wanting and very professional looking at the same time.

I am still looking into the sound track issue also. I used to keep up with these laws back in the day and back then using Midi was perfectly legal as it was considered "your own work" or a interpretation of an existing song.

I often don't post full rez images on my photography page. I make them large enough that someone can enjoy them, but not rip you off if they copy them. Its the best method that can detour image pirating. I know watermarks can get removed with software, but I tend to look at them as free advertising. But many thanks for taking a look. I haven't had a chance to update the site lately. I really need to and want to. But I don't want to post any images on Deviant Art that will go into one of my photography books I am working on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Exodist;1566409 That mic is looking very close to what I am wanting and very professional looking at the same time. I haven't had a chance to update the site lately. I really need to and want to. But I don't want to post any images on Deviant Art that will go into one of my photography books I am working on.[/QUOTE said:
I understand that! :)

I am hoping to get my mic next month and when I do I'll let you know all about it. I've been looking at them for a year or more and have never really read a negative about it. A little pricey but you know the old saying you get what you pay for and I think that mic will be perfect for me and for what you want to do too!

Cheers!

Pat

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I have some music I would like to use in my pod cast and since they are midis I composed based on existing music. Can I still use these? I know Pre year 2000 the law stated that even though its based on copyrighted work, since the user put it into midi format, it is then considered work of the person who made the midi. I am not sure if thats still the case today and wondering if anyone here knows.
You'll have to consult the law in your own country since everyone does it differently. Some services may also remove content if it's hosted in a different country from yours (so, if something was legal in Canada and you posted it on a Dutch hosted website where said content was illegal, it might be pulled).

You might be best to stick to freely available music. Take a look at public domain or Creative Commons music.

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You'll have to consult the law in your own country since everyone does it differently. Some services may also remove content if it's hosted in a different country from yours (so, if something was legal in Canada and you posted it on a Dutch hosted website where said content was illegal, it might be pulled).

You might be best to stick to freely available music. Take a look at public domain or Creative Commons music.

I left my piano to my Mom when I moved out here to the Philippines. Really wishing I would have held onto it, but shipping and chance of damage was to high. I could easily create a new jingle for my pod cast. I can still do it note per note, but its not as fluid. GB has the option to do so, but the workflow isn't geared around that and that makes it little awkward to do so. But never the less, it still may do so.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't know about prices today... but the last time I was in the Philippines a fairly nice piano was less than half the price than one in the states. However, that was up in the main island of Luzon at a military base.

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't know about prices today... but the last time I was in the Philippines a fairly nice piano was less than half the price than one in the states. However, that was up in the main island of Luzon at a military base.

Prices have came up, but over al lcost of living is still cheaper. Sadly I am down in Mindanao and anything that isn't essential seems to have the price tripled at times. :(
But.... We just got in a new Mall and getting another one next year plus some shopping stuff, so the price gouging is coming down. Did see some reasonable midi keyboards the other day, prices were within reason. But I am thinking of getting one of those small ones with USB jack for the computer. However I don't have that in my budget for this year. Got to much other camera stuff I need. :\

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. A quick update.. I have the channel operational.. This whole Google+ mess being integrated was a real pain in the be hind. I ended up just deleting the Google+ page (btw I never asked for) to free its nasty hands off my youtube channel. Lots of videos are to come.. Going to start working on them today..

Here is the channel Link.. Joe Jackson - YouTube

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is a private link to my song I am testing out. It should be legal, but still curious if youtube will confuse it with the original song. So even if it is legal, I don't want to go through a freaking hassle on every video..

Tell me what y'all think of the song remix.. Eye of the Trance, Pod Cast Song Test - YouTube

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice remix, Joe! Sounds real nice. I left you a short message on your channel (U12Yak).

I may want to use that remix on one of my aerial videos I'm putting together, if that's all right :)

Cheers!

Pat

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure go ahead, you have my permission.

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a quick update..

Things are going smooth.. Finally getting everything setup smoothly..

I even applied for my business and tax license online today. Registering my business as Exodist Photography. Seemed only suiting.

My videos will remain FREE.. Any reviews I do, or tutorials or even just me ranting about something I will alway give FREE of charge.. But LOL expect me to make a few plugs about any books I will be selling on iBooks that will be used to support and keep the channel free and my hobby going.. :)

Cheers,
Joe

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just wanted to update everyone. If you noticed I haven't been in the forums as much, its because I have been working heavily on this project and thought I would share how things are going.

- Well my video camera is now my Canon 70D.
- I am using my iPod as a mic, using the Vonbruno Microphone, however I do have a two condenser mics ordered. The Samsun USB Meteor Mic and a Audio Techna wired condenser mic as well.
- I have finally got my business license, company name is Exodist Photography
- I have started a blog on Blogger. exodistphotography.blogspot.com
- Also have presence on Google+ and Facebook under my company name.
- Youtube channel also is finally getting some real videos. https://www.youtube.com/user/exodistphotography
If you want to check it out I have FREE video tutorials, all I ask is if you Like it, then hit the Like button and subscribe. I would be sooo grateful for some subscribers..
- Still not selling anything as of yet. When I do it will be off iBooks. Proceeds will of course be to keep my free stuff free for everyone.
- Still looking for a medium to sell my photos, thinking go Deviant Art website since I have an account there, but will follow up on that over the next few weeks..

I do have some reviews on my blog of gear, lens, software, etc.. Also have some of those tutorials I talked about posted.. busy busy busy...

Cheers,
Joe

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.