• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How do I digitize my dvd's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 Mac Mini - Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz - 8GB ram - 1TB HDD, iPad Air 32GB, iPhone 6s 64GB
I want to start digitizing my DVD collection, over 500 of them. I would like to create digital copies of them and put them on my home network. How can I go about about this task?
What type of programs do I need to decode and digitize a DVD?
What's the average file size of a movie?
I'll be using my Mac Mini(mid 2010), 8 gigs of ram, 1TB HDD, OS Mavericks.
I'm planning purchasing a couple of external hard drives to store them on.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Disclaimer : these copies would be for personal use only.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
However much personal copies makes sense, the circumvention of copy protections is a prohibited topic around here. Thus, if these are commercial DVDs, there's not much we can help you with. Are these commercial DVDs with copy protection or are these personal DVDs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
@OP. Like Van mentioned. Its a no no subject, not that we wouldn't mind giving you advice. We love giving advice, its just we wouldn't want to the forum to become known for telling people how to circumvent copy protection.

That said, there are commercial software for this in the world for purchase. I assume when you purchase that software it pays for the decryption codec. And if you google for it, or just look on Newegg or Amazon you will quickly find what your looking for. Now I don't use this hardware/software so we can't help you with it also.

Cheers,
Joe

C

chas_m

This blog adheres to US law, and under US law making digital copies of commercial DVDs is illegal, even for personal use, or backup, or a million other good reasons. Sorry.

PS. Canada scores one over the US in this regard ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well, one exception is the Universal Digital Copy which may be disc-based (part of a DVD or BD purchase) or as a DL w/ the voucher code w/i the disc case - this permits putting a purchase on your computer and also portable devices. Unfortunately, not all DVD/BDs come w/ this extra feature and most older DVDs were made before this was even an option.

Now I own about 700 commercial optical discs (nearly 200 of these are BDs) - I've gotten many vouchers but had no big need to want the digital copies of my purchased movies, so cannot advise as to how useful this process may be nor whether these digital versions can be transferred to 'say' a network drive for home streaming? Dave :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
PS. Canada scores one over the US in this regard ...
Unfortunately Bill C-11 closed that loophole unless you meet one of a few criteria (like national security). Source. Here's something a little more readable (non-legalese).

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 Mac Mini - Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz - 8GB ram - 1TB HDD, iPad Air 32GB, iPhone 6s 64GB
WOW ! I most certainly did not mean to open a can of worms on this subject. I have no intentions of breaking any laws and all the videos I own are legally purchased commercial ones.
I'll just keep them in the book case till somethings change. Thanks for the input guys.

C

chas_m

Doesn't look like they did, actually:

"Bill C-11 creates new "personal use" exceptions which, subject to certain conditions, will allow individuals to record television programs and copy music for later use (otherwise known as "time-shifting") and move content from one format to another (otherwise known as "format-shifting") without infringing copyright. These exceptions are conditional. For example, the copies and recordings may only be used for the individual's private purposes and the copies cannot be given away. This is an example of Bill C-11 modernizing the current Copyright Act in order to give consumers confidence that they may conduct everyday activities such as transferring music from a CD to a laptop to an iPod without infringing copyright."

I imagine a court will ultimately decide, but I can tell you without a court's help how the majority of Canadians feel about any attempt to intrude upon "personal use" rights.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I imagine a court will ultimately decide, but I can tell you without a court's help how the majority of Canadians feel about any attempt to intrude upon "personal use" rights.

You would get the same from most Americans regarding how we feel about our copyright laws.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All of that can't involve copy protection circumvention though (as I understand it). As noted in this document:
Bill C-11 protects technological protection measures by making it an infringement of copyright to break, or “circumvent,” an access control lock. Also, certain new exceptions from copyright infringement for time-shifting and format-shifting will not apply if either an access-control or a copy-control lock is broken. This means that content distribution and software companies will have new legal tools (beyond contract terms) to effectively protect the creative content they produce and sell.
I wish people would have enough of a voice but I imagine that because this received royal assent recently (ish), it's going to take time to mount a legal challenge (which, like you, wish would happen).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, I also face same problem, Can anyone share the solution or suggestion about it.

As stated at the beginning of this thread - in post # 2 - the discussion of the circumvention of that encryption is not permitted here.

This thread is now closed.

edit: and the spammer is now gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.