Destroyed my Mavericks Partition

Reaction score
I had tried to install Windows 8 via Bootcamp but the installation failed. I rebooted and then deleted the BOOTCAMP partition from Disk Utility. But then Bootcamp started giving me errors and when I tried doing a repair with DU it failed again. Finally I read some blogs and websites and found 2 commands and tried it. It asked for root, so I used my restarted, went into Recovery HD -> Terminal and typed these

sudo gpt remove -i 1 disk0

sudo gpt add -b 40 -i 1 -s 409600 -t C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B disk0

I didn't exactly know what these commands did, but found out that my OS X partition has become inaccessible, Totally disappeared. Now I have only access to Recovery HD and my dads Windows laptop (from which I'm posting this post). Could someone tell me how can I bring my Mavericks partition back?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Why not just start all over?:

- Boot into the Recovery Partition
- Launch Disk Utility
- Have Disk Utility examine/repair the drive.
- Have Disk Utility erase the main partition.
- Quit Disk Utility
- Reinstall the OS version that your computers Recovery Partition can reinstall.

Reboot the computer...and everything should be fine.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I need the data mate. Thats the whole problem

Ahh...you didn't mention that.

You could try booting the computer from an alternate source:

- bootable USB drive
- bootable external HD

Then see if you can access anything on your computers internal drive.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
You could restore your data from the last backup.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
At a rough punt would suggest no backups either!

If you do not know Terminal suggest keeping well out. Very powerful black magic lives there.

M

MacInWin

Data Rescue 3 may be able to resurrect your files, but it ain't cheap. Its the price of learning not to mess with terminal unless you really, really know what you are doing. link

AFTERTHOUGHT: and don't do any more with the drive if you do plan to use DR3 as each time you do something it only gets worse. IF the data is critical and you don't have a backup you'll have to figure out how to boot and then run that program. You may need to get an external drive and install OSX on it, then boot from the external and run DR3 from there to recover the internal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If you do not know Terminal suggest keeping well out. Very powerful black magic lives there.

Very true, but honestly, in the first line, it says that the command REMOVE 1 disk0 . . . . That would set warning bells to me.

M

MacInWin

Yep, if you man gpt, the first line says GUID partition table maintenance utility. Couple that with the word "remove" and I'm staying away. I'm no gpt expert, but from the reading of man gpt, what the OP did was remove his partition information on the boot drive, then overwrite it with something that obviously didn't work. So now his only hope is that some recovery software like Data Rescue can read the naked drive and somehow recover his files in sufficient quality for him to rebuild his data. That's a lot of work!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And Jake don't think DR will recover the files after Terminal has received a remove instruction.

M

MacInWin

Well, DR3 did recover files from a drive that a failed raid management card managed to get into a state where it could not be mounted, no partitions recognized at all, so it might work. Not every file it "recovered" was usable as it did miss some block links, but I would say overall it did recover 90% of what was there. It struggled mostly with image and sound files, but did great on the typical Office documents (.doc, .xls, .ppt) and with .pdf files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.