Setting up wifi hotspot in bootcamp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2019, 2.4GHz i9, 64Gb Ram, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8Gb, 2Tb SSD
I am using my Macbook with bootcamp on windows 7 at the moment to run a bit of CAD software.
I would like to be able to use the ipad at the same time to read dimensions from its screen.

The problem is setting up the computer to make a wireless network for the ipad, the computer is currently connected to an eternet cable.

I have done the following:
- set up a wireless ad hoc network (computer to computer) network, using wpa2, and the network save box was checked
- internet sharing was enabled in the option that the previous step asked for, but i also went to change adapter settings for the local area connection and checked its properties to see that internet connection sharing was turned on and it was.

In the ipad, the created network appears under devices, clicking on it brings up a message saying "network name is not connected to the internet" i press join anyway, use the password i setup and it says unable to join the network.

What could possibly be wrong, i have the macbook sharing internet when its running on mac without any issues. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
So this is just setting up ICS on WIndows 7? Here you go:
Using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) - Microsoft Windows Help

I'm assuming your internet connection is coming straight from a basic cable modem. The best solution here is to use a router (you still connect the Mac by ethernet and connect the iPad over wifi).

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately i have no access to wifi in my student accomodation they only offer an ethernet cable coming out of the wall. Normally i use the macbook in mac and have it set up to provide wifi to the ipad which works fine.

This was the guide i was following to try and get it working:
http://lifehacker.com/5369381/turn-your-windows-7-pc-into-a-wireless-hotspot

On windows ive followed the instructions but for some reason i cant get an internet connection on the ipad

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately i have no access to wifi in my student accomodation they only offer an ethernet cable coming out of the wall. Normally i use the macbook in mac and have it set up to provide wifi to the ipad which works fine.

Why can't you buy an inexpensive router, attach it to the ethernet cable in your room and setup your own WiFi network? Then you wouldn't have to go through creating a hot spot to use your iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Many student accommodation connections don't allow you to add a 'dumb' device like a router they register a single address of a single device and that's it. But it's worth following this suggestion up with your accommodation network support. This is the best solution.

But the bottom line is that windows ICS is a reluctant and temperamental beast. I've used it a number of times to connect games consoles in a similar situation to yours. But it can just stall, stop or simply refuse to work. The info I posted earlier should just work but there's obviously something different in your existing windows network config.

Maybe clear all your settings and follow the guide I posted

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many student accommodation connections don't allow you to add a 'dumb' device like a router they register a single address of a single device and that's it. But it's worth following this suggestion up with your accommodation network support. This is the best solution.

But the bottom line is that windows ICS is a reluctant and temperamental beast. I've used it a number of times to connect games consoles in a similar situation to yours. But it can just stall, stop or simply refuse to work. The info I posted earlier should just work but there's obviously something different in your existing windows network config.

Maybe clear all your settings and follow the guide I posted

Thats correct, we cant add routers to the network, only computers some people complain that games consoles do not work over this network, although the speed is not particularly fast.

I suppose windows just doesn't have a particularly efficient or easy to use way of creating a hotspot when compared to the relative ease it was on the mac, there seems to be programs available to create a hotspot but its hard to know if they are genuine or just a nice way to download a virus.

One solution i had was to download all my notes, name them appropriately and save them in ibooks so they can be viewed on the ipad offline. It works quite well.
Nonetheless thanks for your suggestions

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.