I Think I broke my iMac

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have an old 2007 White iMac, it is a 20" Core 2 Duo. I just upgraded the hard disk to a 1tb drive. When I plugged the power cable in, I had a spark come from the top left of the mac (which is an inch or two above the power circuit board)

Now I have no power at all, I cant switch it on at all.

Anyone have any ideas?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Have you opened it back up...to see what wasn't reassembled properly (since this spark) would not have happened if everything was put back together correctly?

If the spark came from the top corner area...this is where the power supply is located in some of the older white iMac's.

I'm guessing the power supply got fried. And of course...it would need to be replaced. But first...the reason for this problem needs to be corrected...or a replacement power supply will be damaged as well.

Once you have power to the unit...then you will have to see if the computer works. Since you never know...the logic board could have been damaged as well.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you nick. I think you are correct. To confirm the worst of my fears. It is a shame its so old now. Maybe time for an upgrade.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thank you nick. I think you are correct. To confirm the worst of my fears. It is a shame its so old now. Maybe time for an upgrade.

I have a couple older White Intel iMac's...and they can certainly still get some jobs done (older games, older versions of MS Office, internet browsing, e-mail, etc.).

Depending on the cost of a replacement power supply (they can be anywhere from $50-$150...gotta check eBay)...it may or may not be worth repairing (compared to the computers used value).

If you can get a replacement power supply for a reasonable price...I would say it is worth giving it a try. But like I mentioned...it is possible that the logic board got damaged (won't know until you can get power to the unit)...AND the problem that caused the power supply issue needs to be taken care of (maybe a loose wire, maybe a loose screw, etc.).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go for the upgrade. Would your home contents insurance cover some of the cost?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I wonder if when putting it back together if a screw was dropped into the machine around the area where you saw the spark? Worth checking as changing the hard drive should not cause that issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Worth checking as changing the hard drive should not cause that issue.

Either a metal screw as you suggest Dennis, or more likely incorrect assembly of the chassis when putting everything back together causing a short at the PS ground. I've seen that happen many times in my electronic repair days.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.