Setting up a mixed platform network with Panther

Reaction score
I would like to use my original iMac as a print server on my home network. Unfortunately, I use a PC netbook for work (as a teacher) because of its size. I am not sure whether this can be done, or how to proceed. Can I connect it to the wireless router with a cable or do I need to get a Wifi adapter? Any suggestions on how to get this done, or issues I need to consider, as well as links to any articles on this subject would be great!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would like to use my original iMac as a print server on my home network.

Can I connect it to the wireless router with a cable or do I need to get a Wifi adapter?

I know that you mentioned that you have an "Original iMac"...which would be a 1998 model. But...this "original iMac" design came in many models over a number of years...and had a range of capabilities. So it would help if you told us EXACTLY which model "original iMac" you have.

Basically...some of these "original iMac's" were capable of having a WiFi card installed in them (but some of the earliest models couldn't).

And lastly. If your original iMac can have a WiFi card installed...yes it can be connected to a wireless router...but...this depends on the type/form of password your router has (WPA vs. WEP). WEP is older...WPA is newer.

The older WiFi cards (the only ones compatible with an old iMac)...are not compatible with WPA. Most (or maybe all) newer wireless routers use WPA.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Multiplatfrom networking using iMac G3

The iMac I have is actually the second incarnation. It is a G3 A/V SE (graphite) slot loading Also, will the operating system make a difference? I was thinking of my iBook that is running Panther. I haven't used the G3 for awhile and it may still be running OS 9.

Since I only want to use it a print server, can I connect it to my wireless router via an ethernet connection (there are ethernet ports on the router)?

If I do this wirelessly, can I use a dongle instead of a card?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iMac I have is actually the second incarnation. It is a G3 A/V SE (graphite) slot loading

Yes...this is a slightly newer original iMac model. It is capable of having a WiFi card installed.

Also, will the operating system make a difference? I was thinking of my iBook that is running Panther. I haven't used the G3 for awhile and it may still be running OS 9.

The newer the OS installed...the better the chance of compatibility (with anything...software or hardware). This iMac is capable of running up to OS 10.4.11...but it may be a bit slow doing it. So 10.3 (Panther) may be better.

Since I only want to use it a print server, can I connect it to my wireless router via an ethernet connection (there are ethernet ports on the router)?

Sure...if you have no issues routing an ethernet cable between the devices (computer & router).

If I do this wirelessly, can I use a dongle instead of a card?

There were WiFi dongles available. But they were never very good or very reliable. And even if they were good...I'm thinking that you would have a difficult time finding a WiFi dongle for a 14 year-old iMac.;)

The ethernet cable is the quickest, easiest, and least costly method of connecting this iMac to your router.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good deal!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.