grey screen when booting macbook pro

Reaction score
Hi I have an interesting problem.
2009 macbook pro running Lion, shows a perpetual gray screen when booting.
I used to be able to see the HD and recovery drive when pushing the option key, and used to be able to go into recovery mode. Using another mac, it was determined that the disk is ok, and could be booted on another machine through a firewire. After clearing/resetting the PRAM and SMC, checking the HDD cord connections and everything that is suggested on the internet it was decided a clean install was necessary, so a backup was made. The HD and recovery disk stopped showing up however so it was not possible, and the install disk wouldnt eject, even in single user mode. Target mode no longer worked either. After repeating all the steps listed previously, it magically went into target mode and the disk was ejected but the computer won't go into ANY mode now, all that is visible is a blank gray screen. It should be noted that a folder with a question mark was seen on one occasion, and a circle with a line through it on a few others. Occasionally the apple logo will come up and the loading circle will perpetually spin. Despite my attempts to narrow down the source of the seemingly random behavior nothing will work.

Could a flaky HDD cable be the cause? It should be noted that I tried booting from a working bootable backup and it did not work either. (option startup no longer works)

Any thoughts or suggestions?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Could be a bad HD cable...or a bad HD. When doing DIY repairs & troubleshooting...the most straight forward way to diagnose things (once some parts are suspected bad)...is to swap known good parts for suspected bad parts.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.