Mac OS X (10.4.5 - Build 8G1454) Problems...

Reaction score
I'm about 3 week into owning my first iMac, an Intel Core Duo system. Anyway, I got a popup the other day that a system update was available and wanted to update the iLife applications and Mac OS X. I went a head and did the upgrade, which took several minutes and a system reboot.

My system is less stable. Applications are crashing and the OS had locked serveral times when I tried to kill (unsuccessfully) various applications that crashed.

Anyone seen this or have any suggestions. I told the system to check for updates tonight, and that process hung as well.

Help me out here guys, I'm not a novice computer user and this is certainly not what I expected from the Mac. I'm considering reinstalling Mac OS, which is easy enough to do, but a bit frustrating since all I've been doing is installing applications from trusted sources such as those recommended by Apple and a few applications found on CNETs Download.com.

Hopefully, this is a known issue. Suggestions and info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
You may also want to try re-applying the update. Download it at Apple and run a repair permissions in Disk Utility. Reboot. Then re-apply the update.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions on this...it didn't fix the problem, but it did fix some things most likely caused for the necessary power switch reboots after lockups.

I did find the problem, it appears that USB Overdrive doesn't like something else on the system since the problems stopped after uninstalling it. So I'm in the process of trying to nail that down after contacting the developer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.