can't erase redundant file from trash

Reaction score
I had several backups on external disks, including backups of 'Core Services'. To free up space I moved one backup to the trash. Now the (copy) of 'Core Services' is stuck there and can't be erased. What can I do? (I know nothing about code; barely know what the terminal.app is, let alone how to use it).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Reconnect the external drive, then try to empty the trash.

OP
A
Reaction score
I have nothing windows on my mac, just mac stuff, and I always have antivirus/anti-malware programs running in the background. I'll check nonetheless, as soon as I get back to the office (tomorrow), where the mac in question is. And I'll try dis-/reconnecting the external hard-drive. I'll post the results. Thanks for the input.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have nothing windows on my mac, just mac stuff, and I always have antivirus/anti-malware programs running in the background. I'll check nonetheless, as soon as I get back to the office (tomorrow), where the mac in question is.

Don't know what any of that has to do with the question above. Is there another question in there?

And I'll try dis-/reconnecting the external hard-drive. I'll post the results. Thanks for the input.

If you delete files from an external drive; in order to empty the trash of those files, the external drive must be connected.

OP
A
Reaction score
How embarrassingly simple. Duh. I disconnected the external drive, reconnected it, and the trash was empty. Thank you so much!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.