dissapearing HP Setup Assistant

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 13.3 in screen with 2GB RAM and a 2.26 GHz
So I'm having severe trouble getting my HP C4780 Printer connected wirelessly to my Mac (it runs 10.9), and I tried using HP Setup Assistant to do this but every time I would try to set it up wirelessly, it would randomly quit on me. So i uninstalled the assorted HP programs (HP Setup Assistant, HP Utility). Apparently I then had to redo the software update to get the programs, and I did that but now they are no where to find on my computer. When I search for them they don't appear, and there is no HP folder anymore in my Applications. I know the HP Utility exists because I know of a way to open the program without actually finding it, but the Setup Assistant is gone and I dont know where they went. Any help on where it might be?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't been able to do that, the WPS thing is not working at all, the printer has some serious issues. I really just need to be able to find the HP Setup Assistant program, once I can do that I will probably be able to tell if the wireless connection will work or not

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To find your HP setup assistant and utilities look here:

Macintosh HD/Library/Printers/hp/Utilities/

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/Printers/

Note: Your user library is hidden by default. Read the following hints from MacWorld magazine which show you how to view it easily. I could give you a terminal command to turn it on but MacWorld is better. LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I haven't been able to do that, the WPS thing is not working at all, the printer has some serious issues. I really just need to be able to find the HP Setup Assistant program, once I can do that I will probably be able to tell if the wireless connection will work or not

I would strongly advise following those steps. You do not have to use wps you can just enter the wifi key/password.
Following those steps will ensure far less frustration using this printer going forward.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To find your HP setup assistant and utilities look here:

Macintosh HD/Library/Printers/hp/Utilities/

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/Printers/

Note: Your user library is hidden by default. Read the following hints from MacWorld magazine which show you how to view it easily. I could give you a terminal command to turn it on but MacWorld is better. LINK

Ah I found Utilities, unfortunately the HP Setup Assistant is still missing. Here's a screenshot.

I have already unhidden my user library, and there was nothing in there except for my printer application. The HP Utility wasn't even there.

Any suggestions on where the HP Setup Assistant could be or where I could find it?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I'd recommend is this:
1. connect the printer to your router by wifi using the just the printer interface.
2. If you're happy using your router setup. Allocate the printer a fixed IP address
3. run through the instruction sbelow to add your printer to your Mac
https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc...67522&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3794615#N216

This isn't even working. I believe my printer was working fine (i.e. it would print with USB connection) before i uninstalled the HP programs, but now it won't even print via the USB connection. The printer is connected fine when I look on the system pref's, but when I go to actually print this happens

unabletoprintscreenshot_zps792784dd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It says unable to use legacy class USB driver. I'm guessing I should try to re-install the driver, but I don't know how to do that, because I don't know where I can uninstall the current driver and try to do another software update. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, I'm somewhat competent my computer, and this is just blowing my mind.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.