Went back to the dark side!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dell Latitude E6330, i5 2.7, 4 gig ram, 128 SSD, 13.3 screen
Yes, as you can tell I went back to a Windows 7 machine. Keep in mind I had a 2.1 C2D, 160HD, and 2 ram. I was offered a i5, 128 SSD, and 4 ram, just a trade, no money or nothing. I might have some hate on it but it was something I couldn't pass. I'm waiting on disability, so I couldn't just go out and buy something. I have had no money for over 3 years (still waiting). Thank God for my wife, as she has cared and worked. I think it was a good trade considering all the facts. The fastest computer I have EVER owned.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You gotta do what you gotta do.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini 2.5 ghz i5, 16 GB RAM, 960 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD (5200 RPM)
Sounds like it's time to install Ubuntu ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
I'm ready to jump ship myself. I much prefer Windows. After a year and a half with an iMac I still don't "get" it and have the same amount, if not more, of cashes and quirks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
Completely different than my experience with Apple. Two years and 0 problems with two MBP's 2 iphones. Other than what I screwed up myself be constantly tinkering. Can't blame that on the mac's.

M

MacInWin

There is no perfect OS for everyone. Personal choice is why there are Windows, OSX, Linux (multiple strains) and even some others (OS/2) out there. Like V6Pony, my experience with OSX has been much better than with Windows. No worry about viruses, little malware, and if you use the products in Apple's ecology, very little in the way of crashing. But if it's not for you, go to what you like. For me, that's OSX.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Choice is a good thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
So many of us use both Windows and Mac OS X. Windows 7 is by far the best yet from Microsoft.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Personal choice is why there are Windows, OSX, Linux (multiple strains) and even some others (OS/2) out there.

Music to my ears! I take it you were a WARP user at one time Jake? I'm surprised at the number of BBS systems out there that are still being run on OS/2. Most, however, are now using one form or another of Linux. Wish I had kept my copy of OS/2, but I still have an old copy of "Boot Manager" laying around somewhere. Remember that? :)

C

chas_m

I would hate to live in a world with no options, even if the only OS were Apple's. Life is short and computing should be enjoyable. If you can't or won't give OS X or iOS a good honest try with an open mind, don't switch.

If you DID give it a good honest try with an open mind and it still didn't work out for you, go in peace and sincere best wishes for whatever you find that works better.

M

MacInWin

Music to my ears! I take it you were a WARP user at one time Jake? I'm surprised at the number of BBS systems out there that are still being run on OS/2. Most, however, are now using one form or another of Linux. Wish I had kept my copy of OS/2, but I still have an old copy of "Boot Manager" laying around somewhere. Remember that? :)
Yep! Warp was a better Windows than Windows was. I remember showing someone my OS/2 Warp system simultaneously downloading a big file on my 1200 baud modem, printing a document on my printer and then moving the mouse smoothly across the screen. IBM knew how to do multiprocessing from the days of VM on the mainframe and brought that to the PC. Brilliant! I have the install disks on 3.5" floppies, and I think I have the Warp CD somewhere, but haven't run it in a while. I used OS/2 to run a BBS system that had 15 phone lines into my house. The cops actually visited because they thought I was running a bookie shop. Fortunately, one of them was a PC user and understood what was going on and explained it to the other one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I'm ready to jump ship myself. I much prefer Windows. After a year and a half with an iMac I still don't "get" it and have the same amount, if not more, of cashes and quirks.

Wow! That's incredible. Macs have been so good to me. Best of luck with going back to Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
There are perks and cons on both sides. Cost for quality prebuilt systems are relativity about the same.

Virus threats are not even an option, even free options such as AVG, Avast or even Microsofts Security Essentials all do a good job of that as long as the user updates the software often like you should and doesn't install stupid crap all the time.

They are both PCs these days, no real hardware reason to choose one over the other. Matter of fact Foxcon builds many of the boards for Apple and I wouldn't buy/use a Foxcon motherboard to build a PC even if it was free.

Win7 was good, heck it was great compared to all the previous operating systems MS has released. I just can't fantom what the heck they were thinking with this Metro UI crap they did with Win8. Also Win8 last time I tested it was horrible, not very multitasking friendly and just plane ugly. If I wanted a touch screen UI I would use my tablet, if I want to use a desktop then I use my PC/Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I use Win 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 but rely on and enjoy OS 10.9.1.
I can find a substitute for each native app for all 3 but my experience has always been less of a headache with OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Wow! That's incredible. Macs have been so good to me. Best of luck with going back to Windows.

Oh, I'm not going anywhere. I will say that no one beats Apple on their designs, which to me means a lot. I know that Apple gets ridiculed and criticized for making "pretty products" , but to me it's a valid and positive attribute.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I just can't fantom what the heck they were thinking with this Metro UI crap they did with Win8. ...

Do you mean "fathom"? ;)

But I agree on the Win8 being a poor design for the desktop/notebook. Win 7 is the best user experience yet for MS.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Another fan of OS/2 here. Used it till the end. Also ran a very successful BBS on it and it was so stable.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Win7 was good, heck it was great compared to all the previous operating systems MS has released. I just can't fantom what the heck they were thinking with this Metro UI crap they did with Win8. <SNIP>

Because Microsoft refuses to acknowledge the notion that "mobile" is a separate product category from "PC". To them, they are all PCs in different form factors. And while they have a valid point to some degree, the simple fact is that they are very different form factors and as a result, you have to use different metaphors in terms of GUI.

I can't say I blame them. The computing market (in general) is shifting radically and it is making Microsoft irrelevant in the consumer space as they failed to anticipate or quickly react to the trend.

Most people (and I mean, the "average Joe") don't need or want a PC. Period. What they want is an easy, appliance-like means to connect to the Internet. PC sales boomed in the mid-90's when the Internet became accessible to the average consumer. That was the PC's killer app and it dramatically changed the landscape for companies like Microsoft, who until then, had limited success in the consumer space. The problem is that PCs are not simple machines. Most users have no desire to invest the time and effort into learning what makes them tick, or maintaining them. They want to click a button and have it do what they want, whenever they want it to, every time they do it. Think of it like a refrigerator - one needs no special knowledge to operate it. You open the door and get the milk out and when you're done, put it back in to keep it cold. You can train a chimp to do it. A general purpose PC will simply never work like that. Sure, you can make Windows run well and keep it clean, providing that you understand it well enough and respect its needs. Most people don't want to do that.

So, here we are in 2014... and now, users are starting to get choices beyond what they typically used a PC for. One can argue that an iPad (or just about any tablet) is the perfect fit for the average Joe's computing needs. You can get the web, email, entertainment and type the occasional document, or edit a photo without expending much effort at all. And because of Apple's walled garden, the chances of ever picking up malware are next to none. Beyond that, it's instant on and off, zero maintenance and can run for days on battery alone. You can hand it to a person in a third world country who has never seen a computer and within a relatively short time span, they can figure out how to operate it at a basic level and find it useful to some extent.

And consumers have spoken, they like it that way. Hence, the dramatic shift over to iDevices and Android devices. What this means is bad news for Microsoft. The PC market is gradually returning to its roots. Businesses and schools, and those of us that are enthusiasts (read: geeks) are going to continue to buy PCs (or Macs), but they're simply not going to sell in the kind of volume that they once did.

Indeed, if you're Microsoft, this is very bad news. You can't blame them for sticking their fingers in their ears, closing their eyes and churning out a version of Windows that they deem good enough for all form factors, regardless of whether it really is. An even bigger problem they have now is that they are alienating those core markets for Windows (business and enthusiasts). This further exacerbates the already on-going trend of those users jumping ship to Mac, or worse yet (for them), Linux. They can't even sell 'em their other cash cow, Office, if they're running Linux.

I don't envy Microsoft, but I do wish they'd accept reality, figure out their core strengths, and put all their energy and focus onto them. They have talented and enthusiastic engineers and I harbor no illusion that they can't churn out a decent version of Windows - Windows 7 is evidence of that. Trying to change "mobile" devices to be something they're not, and in turn, change PCs into something they're not either, is a lose-lose strategy that I think will ultimately be their undoing.

But hey, as a long time alternate-platform enthusiast, who has loathed Microsoft for decades, it is certainly fun to watch - and may Ballmer rule for "as long as it takes".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Do you mean "fathom"? ;)
Hmm seems spell checker helped me out again.. LOL Sometimes I wished it would just highlight the word when I slightly misplace a letter or two instead of changing the spelling to something completely different to what I wanted.. :Not-Amused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because Microsoft refuses to acknowledge the notion that "mobile" is a separate product category from "PC". .......

Thankfully Apples does.. :)

Yea I don't thank metro is bad for a tablet pc. But if someone touches my monitors I am going to punch them in the eye..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.