Accidental Mavericks Install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Retina 5K,27”, 3.6 Ghz 10 Core, intel core i9
Hope someone can help with this.

The Mavericks upgrade was started in error. I can't seem to stop it. I tried to do a force quit but that didn't work. I tried to do a hard shut down but as soon as I turned it back on, it started back up with the install.

Is there a way to stop this? If I can't stop it, can I get my old OSX back? I run FileMaker 10 a lot for my work and I am pretty sure that it isn't compatible with Mavericks.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Accidentally installing Mavericks...is like accidentally getting pregnant...it's no accident!;)

As far as your old OS. I think that you just have to let Mavericks complete the install (since it was consciously started by clicking on the upgrade button). Otherwise if you try to halt it...something may get messed up with a partially installed OS.

Then you will have to look into downgrading your OS back to Mountain Lion (10.8 I assume). Hopefully you made a bootable USB stick installer of Mountain Lion.

- Nick

OP
SeaDragon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL

Yes, Nick, it is kind of like that. I didn't want to come right out and say that my husband started it then came back to my office and asked if that was okay. He realized that he messed up but it was too late.

Sad to say,no, there no bootable disk and I am sure that he has no current backup either. Welcome to my world.

I will turn his computer back on and see where I stand with it.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sad to say,no, there no bootable disk and I am sure that he has no current backup either. Welcome to my world.

I will turn his computer back on and see where I stand with it.

If 10.8 Mountain Lion is the OS you really want (not 10.9 Mavericks)…to make a bootable USB stick installer…you need to redownload Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store then follow these instructions:

How To Make A Bootable Disk Or USB Drive Of OS X Mountain Lion | Cult of Mac

This is just one link on how to make a bootable Mountain Lion installer on USB Stick. There are MANY more available (just search for it) if the one I linked is unclear in some way.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And Mavericks will not run the Installer without your say so. It will sit in the Applications Folder where you can leave it or Trash it.

Alas poor hubby!!

OP
SeaDragon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick,
Thanks for the link on how to make a bootable usb. That will be on my list of things to get done today.

I checked his machine before turning in last night and so far things are looking okay so I will think positive.

If FileMaker works and that is the deal breaker, then the install worked as a great guinea pig.

Poor hubby is right. He still thinks I am angry at him.

Thanks again for the help.

Monya

OP
SeaDragon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If 10.8 Mountain Lion is the OS you really want (not 10.9 Mavericks)…to make a bootable USB stick installer…you need to redownload Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store then follow these instructions:

How To Make A Bootable Disk Or USB Drive Of OS X Mountain Lion | Cult of Mac

This is just one link on how to make a bootable Mountain Lion installer on USB Stick. There are MANY more available (just search for it) if the one I linked is unclear in some way.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

I just wanted to give you an update. The install went remarkably well all things considered. The only non-compatible program was Flip4Mac. All other needed programs are up and running including FileMaker. The unwanted guinea pig came out smelling like a rose.

Thanks again.

Monya

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just wanted to give you an update. The install went remarkably well all things considered. The only non-compatible program was Flip4Mac. All other needed programs are up and running including FileMaker. The unwanted guinea pig came out smelling like a rose.

Thanks for the update!:) Sounds like the "alarm bells" were rung a tad early.;)

And yes...the "Guinea Pig" came ok!:) What will his reward be??;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Since the OP brought up the issue that Flip4Mac is not compatible with Mavericks...I am about to do a nuke and pave (format and clean install including apps) with Mavericks and was wondering if just using VLC was a better option than reloading Flip4Mac? I like VLC on the Windows machine I use at work and after my wipe I want to keep my Mac lean but mean. Would VLC be a better choice? I apologize if it appears I am hijacking this thread.

OP
SeaDragon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the update!:) Sounds like the "alarm bells" were rung a tad early.;)

And yes...the "Guinea Pig" came ok!:) What will his reward be??;)

- Nick

I don't know that the bells rang too soon since my stress level at the time was pretty high but I will admit that it proved to be interesting. I would like to say "lesson learned" for my guinea pig but I doubt it.

But you are right, since he didn't blow up his computer he deserves a reward. I will buy his popcorn at the movies tonight. ;-)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know that the bells rang too soon since my stress level at the time was pretty high...

If you run into a similar situation in the future...the best thing to do is identify the version of the software app (Filemaker 10 in this case)...then search the internet to see if that version is compatible with the OS version being installed. This way you get an answer MUCH more quickly...and MUCH less stress!:)

I will buy his popcorn at the movies tonight. ;-)

Hmm...I was thinking something more creative!;)

- Nick

OP
SeaDragon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you run into a similar situation in the future...the best thing to do is identify the version of the software app (Filemaker 10 in this case)...then search the internet to see if that version is compatible with the OS version being installed. This way you get an answer MUCH more quickly...and MUCH less stress!:)

I actually did that and what I found was that at that time it had not been tested for FM10 and probably wasn't compatible. Since it did work this time I feel much better. I don't know that if I started with Marvericks, FM10 would install. That, of course, would be the ultimate test.

Hmm...I was thinking something more creative!;)

- Nick

Popcorn can be creative. :Mischievous:

Monya

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.