Who has one?

X

Xx620xX

Who has one? Which version should I get?

What version do you have, pros and cons of both? Should I go w/ a G5 or Intel? What would you guys recommend?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i recently got a 17" G5 with the built in iSight. i love it. i got it because it was in my price range. i think that it suit us well. if you want the most recent fastest processor and all teh bells and whistles, get the intel iMac. if you want to save a couple hundred dollars, get the last model G5. it runs just as good for my everyday use.

OP
B

BoingoBongo

I have a 20" Intel. It's rad.

I started saving last summer/fall for a Powerbook. After I had enough money, I managed to wait a few more weeks until Macworld when the MacBooks were announced. I was planning on getting one of those, but ended up with the iMac. Whatever system I ordered I wanted to get "fully loaded", and there was a $900 difference in price. I like portability, but I don't need it that much. It's also nice to have a desktop again because I've been on a Windows laptop for the last year or so, and I was starting to feel a little cramped.

I'd definitely like to get a MacBook someday if I can, but I love the iMac. The first one I got had a dead pixel and I shipped it back, and my new one is awesome.

I went with the Intel because I didn't have a reason not to. It's my first Mac, so I don't already have a bunch of PowerPC software or anything. I'd highly recommend it.

Reaction score
If i wanted to add ram or extra features on my imac, I would have to go to the apple store to add it right.

If i did it myself then I my warranty is void, corrrect?

OP
Z

zap2

have an iMac G5 Rev A, great Mac, thhe Rev A and B we much easyer to open(so i here)

Go with the intel iMac

OP
B

BoingoBongo

bigdaddysheikh said:
If i wanted to add ram or extra features on my imac, I would have to go to the apple store to add it right.

If i did it myself then I my warranty is void, corrrect?

I preordered RAM from the Apple store (yeah, I know it was more expensive but I wanted my computer to be perfect right out of the box), but adding it yourself doesn't void anything. There's a section in the manual about how to do it through a slot on the bottom of the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Xx620xX said:
What version do you have, pros and cons of both? Should I go w/ a G5 or Intel? What would you guys recommend?

What do you want to do with it? Initially mine will be used mainly with iLife 2006 (Universal), iWork 2006 (Universal), and Office 2004 (runs on Rosetta). The Intel iMac was a no-brainer for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mac Mini with LG Flatron 20" widescreen LCD
zap2 said:
have an iMac G5 Rev A, great Mac, thhe Rev A and B we much easyer to open(so i here)

Go with the intel iMac

Hi Zap 2

Yu have the same model Imac as me, so can i ask you a question about your fans. Do you have problems with the noise that they sometimes make or are yours silent.
I regret buying a Rev A because the later ones are so much more silent than mine.
What version of OSX are you running.

Cheers.

Reaction score
It really is about what you're gonna do with it.
So to say, list out all the apps you'll want to use. Find out wheter they all run on Intel either natively or with Rosetta (coz there are some little apps that rosetta doesn't do properly). If you're gonna use apple pro-apps, you'll want the extra performance, if you want it for general hoem use, G5 will do it (even though encoding DVD's sometimes pisses me off coz it takes 2 hours on a G5 - will take maybe 10-15 minutes less on an intel).

But it really depends on apps used and kind of calculations you're gonna throw at your cpu.

Reaction score
London, Germany, USA, France, Holland, Belgium, Ca
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list but have the latest to oldest macs.
I have an old revison imac g5 also I have the last imac g5 with isight 17" love that baby to bits. It fluys with 1.5gb ram for web browsing and playing the odd game. I have on order a 20" intel for my wife and sister in laws.

I am happy with mine, the front row is a bit slow is about the only gripe. But I can use my se w900i as remote so not to fussed. mYT younger brother has 17" imac intel it is abt faster but to be honest I am not in to much of a hurry, So dont really notice it.

Get ram though makes ahuge differnce when I had 512 it was slow at times. Now it simply flys by.

OP
I

iMacTravis

I have the iMac G5 with iSight (17 inch)

I love this computer- its amazing. I couldn't even imagine it being any faster. Unless you are using pro apps like Photoshop, just go for the intel.

Reaction score
I have the iMac Intel Core Duo 1.83Ghz 17 inch. As I've already posted all over these boards with exuberance.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 All the loaded apps run fast and smoothly, and the only Rosetta programs I use are Office 2004, and Azureus on what is considered a "daily basis". I don't really mind the load times on these applications at all, and I don't even worry about compatibility, I think intel native will take off very quickly. Especially as more consumers have them, and there are more product lines than just iMac and MBP, which should be soon.

Oh, and did I mention I got the AppleCare too, to take care of damages or whatever (I want this to be a long term investment desktop - I may get an intel mac laptop down the road but it'll be a long time before i get another desktop) and to take care of people pointing the finger and saying "Revision A, ewe" (and if I felt that way, i wouldnt have bought one). Revision A is great for me and everybody because it's a good long term investment, given that the product isn't a lemon. The downside of course is that there will be small revision upgrades all the time, and I'll accept that. I don't need the flashiest technology, and if that were so, I probably would've gone for the chilly cheese fry loaded 20 inch.

I'm short of breathe and soft finger tips :)

OP
M

moosegoose

I just bought the iMac Intel 17'' amazing piece of hardware. The only problem I had with it was something with Firefox...which is buggy anyways so I started using Safari and all of my problems went away.

Rosetta works fine, Photoshop CS2 runs just fine through it, Office 2004 runs just smooth as well.

I would however, suggest that you get 1GB of ram in your machine. That will make all the difference in the world if you ask me. I still need to order another 512 stick, but soon...

OP
X

xbrian87

I swear by my 17" Duo. I love it to itty bitty pieces.

If you're hard on cash, go G5. If you can afford better performance for $200 more, go Intel Duo.

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
zap2 said:

Go with the intel iMac

Snap. I have the revision A iMac too, no problems whatsoever and had it for 15 months now.

The difference between the original G5 iMacs (like ours) is that they were designed to be user-serviceable, and the iSight models (G5 or Intel) are not designed this way.

This means that if, for example, our Rev A's need a midplane, then Apple can send us one to fit, but the iSight models would have to go back to an Apple tech for repair.

I don't know why Apple changed this in all the iSight models. However, I am happy with mine, and do not intend to change it for a good while yet :)

If I was going to change, I would probably go with the intel, but I would wait for the next revision at least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" intel core duo 1GB RAM, 256 video, 250GB disk, wireless mouse and keyboard
20" intel core duo

I have a 20" intel core duo 256MB RAM 250GB drive, wireless keyboard, mighty mouse, 1 stick GB RAM, and an ipod 20GB and shuffle. I LOVE IT. I'm a recent convert from Windows to Mac and don't understand why I didn't do this sooner. This machine rocks. No outstanding glitches yet, although every now and then i get some slow downs but nothing that takes me to the extreme frustration I'd get with my old windows laptop and dual proc server.

Rob Calfee
Puyallup, WA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" intel core duo 1GB RAM, 256 video, 250GB disk, wireless mouse and keyboard
Oh, and I'm about to receive a mini to VGA connector so I can try the dual screen functionality. I'll let you know how it goes.

Rob

BiT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel core duo iMac. 15.4" MBP, 100GB, 256MB vRAM, 1GB RAM, 2.16GHz
Well iam so lucky, because i like just asked my parents to get me the 20" iMac (w/ the intel proccesor)and i was like wow!! It works great. and i love the 250GB HD . i just recently upgraded my version to 10.4.5. so yea, and iam only 13

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
robcalfee said:
Oh, and I'm about to receive a mini to VGA connector so I can try the dual screen functionality. I'll let you know how it goes.

Rob

Actually, the new Intel's work with DVI.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.