G5 Tower CPU Swap? Partially boots!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 1.8/3Gig/9600 XT/Leopard - LCIII, Color Classic, Mac Classic II
Hello all, I've gotten my Dual 1.8 G5 to almost boot into OS X using Dual 2.5GHz Daughter boards, it comes up to the Apple logo then it doesn't go past this point. Im assuming this can work but the OS might be preventing me from continuing the boot process! Any insights on this Mod? Maybe even a OpenFirmware trick? Any reply would be great thank you. So Close.. :eek: Ive already done the research and found the Bus speed isnt out of range for the 2.5, and Power supply can handle the upgrade, and the pins match on the board.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm curious. Where did the daughter cards come from (another Powermac G5 or somewhere else)? And where did you install them (in the original cpu sockets or the PCI slots)?

- Nick

OP
68RC040
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Nick, they came from a Dual 2.5GHz G5 tower (the whole Daughter Card with heatsinks that connect to the logic board) that the power supply went south, so I installed these CPUs on a G5 Dual 1.8 Machine out from the 2.5, it chimes,light comes on, and Boots to the Apple logo, thats as far as it goes. I am thinking this swap can work with possibly a Firmware trick. it just seems so darn close.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Nick, they came from a Dual 2.5GHz G5 tower...

I was kind of thinking that's where they came from.:)

Since the 2.5ghz dual-cpu Powermac G5 had a liquid cooling system...did you also install the liquid cooling system?

You're probably right...it's probably some sort of firmware issue. I've seen firmware updates...but not whole/complete firmware files. These are probably proprietary to Apple (not freely available to the average user).

Just wanted to add one more thing. I hope you haven't spent too much $$$ doing this. A "genuine" dual cpu 2.5ghz Powermac G5 is probably selling for around $150.

Here's one on e-Bay for $149 (Buy It Now). Seller is also taking "Best Offers".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Power...5686865?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item25889b9251

- Nick

p.s. I know that you're probably doing this for the "curiosity factor". I'm just mentioning $$$...since I find it important to keep an eye on this. Especially in this case...since you are sort of reinventing the wheel.;)

OP
68RC040
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lol well your right on the curiosity factor part, its just a interesting project if it could be done for minimal money spent. I already have a working tower so buying a whole new one with shipping isnt something I want to do, but i defiantly appreciate your insight on this Nick.
I have all the working parts it seems, but theres something im missing on this Mod. Not to much about this project being done online either I've noticed which makes it ever more temping to accomplish something like this.:Cool:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have all the working parts it seems, but theres something im missing on this Mod. Not to much about this project being done online either I've noticed which makes it ever more temping to accomplish something like this.:Cool:

The way Apple designs their computers, the way Apple changes things very quickly, and the way Apple keeps certain software/firmware unavailable...deters the "modding" of Apple products. Which is very common in the "Windows World" where parts swapping/interchangeability is very common.

Most Apple "modding" (if you want to call it that)...is usually limited to swapping exact same "good parts" for "bad-parts" in a non-working computer. Even parts sometimes within a "product family" (Powermac G4's, Powermac G5's, Mac Pro's, etc.) are not easily swappable (as you are finding).

- Nick

OP
68RC040
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your right, Ive literally been online all day searching every and anything. BUT This guy claims he swapped out his Dual 2GHz fx revision to 2.5GHz. I do know that my board uses the 970 Series cpu and not the 970fx CPUs. So.. maybe getting a newer revision Logicboard, because the 1.8 uses the same PSU also so that at least is compatible.

Here are his findings from experimenting

MorphZone

OP
68RC040
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 1.8 to 2.5GHz CPU upgrade? Boots to Apple logo

Hello all, I installed Dual 2.5GHz CPU's in my Dual 1.8 G5, it actually comes up to the Apple logo, then it doesn't go past this point. Im assuming this can work but the OS might be preventing me from continuing the boot process, that or a Kext or even editing a few lines of the Kernel? Any insights on this? Maybe even a OpenFirmware trick? Ive already done the research and found the Bus speed isnt out of range for the 2.5, and Power supply can handle the upgrade, and the pins match on the board. This seems pretty close!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello all, I installed Dual 2.5GHz CPU's in my Dual 1.8 G5, it actually comes up to the Apple logo, then it doesn't go past this point.

Threads merged. No need to start a 2nd thread for the exact same topic.

Thanks for understanding,:)

- Nick

OP
68RC040
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem Nick sorry, this thing is driving me nuts trying to find a answer lol. it might lay in the BootX loader though im looking into it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem Nick sorry, this thing is driving me nuts trying to find a answer lol.

Understandable. So close...yet so far!;)

I spent a total of about 20+ hours last weekend figuring out a bad SATA cable problem.

- Nick

OP
68RC040
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Flashing Rom

How can one flash a macs Rom threw the terminal in OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well best of luck with flashing. If you are not familiar with Terminal be very, very cautious.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Threads merged...same topic.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.