Switch the headphone jack plug for the mic one

Reaction score
Hi,

Yesterday, I had a bad time with my Macbook Pro's headphone jack plug since the tip of my headphone's plug got stuck into the computer's headphone jack plug. It's been hard to remove it (even though I got it by soaking the remaining part with crazyglue and plugging it in again, well. I was happy to get over it.

But, before that I tried using a little screw to pull the jammed tip and, even though I've been careful doing it, the operation somehow slacked it a bit and now any headphone plug will be loose in the plug.

So, I would be interested in switching the headphone plug with the mic one in the computer settings since I more often use the later.

Is it something possible in any way?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Let's see if I understand what you want to do here: You would like to have the Mic jack, which is working, switched so that it behaves like the headphone jack which is not working? AFAIK this is not possible even with software. The circuitry on a mic connection is designed to pull sound into the Mac not push it out. That's done at the circuit level.

You might give the iMic or a similar device a try. It plugs into the USB port and has a connections for both a mic/line in and headphones. They can be found for less than $30 on Amazon.

OP
A
Reaction score
Yes, that is actually exactly what I wanted to do: switch the phone jack with the mic one and vice versa but not physically, just by changing some core parameters within the system. I red some thread on the net where some people claimed it was possible under Ubuntu. I though both the jack plugs where similar on technical aspects. But, if the circuitry doesn't allow it, then I'll have to forget about it I guess.

Thanks for the iMic reference, I'll look into it for sure!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'll have to do a bit of digging. The circuitry may be similar but normally in most devices they're somewhat different. My gut instinct though would be to use something like the iMic. The problem with a software work around, if it could be made to work, is that each time there is a software upgrade/update there is some possibility that the fix would no longer work.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well, thanks for looking into it. However, the headphone jack is still working for now so there is no hurry yet. You might be right regarding the updates point. Haven't though about that...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.