Installing RAM...

X

Xx620xX

Last topic I'll start tonight, I swear. Sorry guys. I just know it's $100 less if i only get 1 gig in the Macbook and then put a stick of RAM in myself, my question is how easy is it for a laptop? Do-able? Any walk-throughs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Xx620xX said:
Last topic I'll start tonight, I swear. Sorry guys. I just know it's $100 less if i only get 1 gig in the Macbook and then put a stick of RAM in myself, my question is how easy is it for a laptop? Do-able? Any walk-throughs?
Apple provides PDFs on their site and instructions in the manual you get with the computer. And the former has PICTURES.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
It is very much do-able.. never seen a macbook but if its like the powerbook there is a little door with 4 srews (one on each corner) take out the screws.. and plop in the memory.. but the door back on.. and bam.. you have more ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
PowerBookG4 said:
It is very much do-able.. never seen a macbook but if its like the powerbook there is a little door with 4 srews (one on each corner) take out the screws.. and plop in the memory.. but the door back on.. and bam.. you have more ram.
Three screws on the PowerBook, all on one edge of the RAM door under the battery. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I have 4 on mine.. not under the batter.. I have the 15 inch 1.5 ghz model.. what model do you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBookG4 said:
I have 4 on mine.. not under the batter.. I have the 15 inch 1.5 ghz model.. what model do you have?
I have the 17-inch 1.67 GHz model. Ah, right. I remember now. The 15-inch's components are arranged differently. Even the way you put the RAM sticks in, one is under the other, whereas my 2 sticks are next to each other instead. I forgot about that.

And no worries, X. We're just having a confused conversation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Xx620xX said:
:), good, so, the basic feelings are .... easy no matter what one you have?
Yes, very easy. Just make sure you have a number 0 Phillips head screwdriver.

Reaction score
London, Germany, USA, France, Holland, Belgium, Ca
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list but have the latest to oldest macs.
17" powerbook is the easiest to do as the screws actually turn easily.
My 15" was a pain and it had a lot less room to move around.
12" ibook recent revison flip keuboard 4 screws and that is it. No more airport card to remove like previos revsion.

Quick question what is that sqaure thing under the 17th battery? I never did work it out but am sorely tempted to look at it.

OP
H

Harryc

apple_power said:
17" powerbook is the easiest to do as the screws
Quick question what is that sqaure thing under the 17th battery? I never did work it out but am sorely tempted to look at it.
The orange thing in this picture?

03.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
YES YES YES

That is the blighter alright. Dammed if I can figure what it is as neither 15 or 12 powerbooks or ibooks have the blighter.

thanks Haryc, but what is it?

OP
H

Harryc

apple_power said:
YES YES YES

That is the blighter alright. Dammed if I can figure what it is as neither 15 or 12 powerbooks or ibooks have the blighter.

thanks Haryc, but what is it?
Don't know :) I have a 15" powerbook as well.

OP
G

gonzea

I installed my 2 gigs on my new powerbook last week. I opened the booklet that came with the powerbook and it shows you pictures of how to do it. It took me like 1 minute! Anyone can do it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hah ha.

Ta no probs pal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.