Going to switch. Mac concerns.

T

Temp

Hello,

I am going to be getting a PowerMac G5, however, I am switching from a PC. This has me a bit concerned because I will have to leave behind programs that I have on my PC that were made for Windows XP only. I also realize that a Mac doesn't always need the additional features that are a necessity for Windows XP (PC) survival. Here are my issues of concern:

Firewall: I have ZoneAlarm Pro 4. I would like to know if there is a firewall for Mac that is equally sophisticated?

Defragmenter: I have Diskeeper 8.0. A very excellent defragmenter. Is there a defragmenter for Mac that is on the same level as this? What is the best defragmenter for Mac that money can buy?

Spyware Detector/Remover: I have PestPatrol. It detects Spyware, Adware, Downloadware, and Hacker Tools, and that is the basics without going into details. Is there such a program for Mac that does just as good a job or better than PestPatrol?

Trojan/Worm Detectors/Removers: Any will do. Just so long as it does a fantastic job.

Also, using Mac's Internet Service (I forget the name of it). Do they still charge for their e-mail service? Last I heard, which was a long time ago, they had strated charging a fee to use their e-mail service. I need to know if this is still applicable.

Any insight on the issues I have brought up will be greatly appreciated. These issues are, at the time, my greatest concerns.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Temp said:

Hi

Temp said:
I am going to be getting a PowerMac G5, however, I am switching from a PC. This has me a bit concerned because I will have to leave behind programs that I have on my PC that were made for Windows XP only. I also realize that a Mac doesn't always need the additional features that are a necessity for Windows XP (PC) survival. Here are my issues of concern:

This happens all the time and we most of the time the experts here can help get you to feel good about the switch

Temp said:
Firewall: I have ZoneAlarm Pro 4. I would like to know if there is a firewall for Mac that is equally sophisticated?

OS X has a built in firewall that I find perfectly suitable. I am sure there are excellent firewalls that some other members could recommend you

Temp said:
Defragmenter: I have Diskeeper 8.0. A very excellent defragmenter. Is there a defragmenter for Mac that is on the same level as this? What is the best defragmenter for Mac that money can buy?

Defragmentation is unnecessary on apples

Temp said:
Spyware Detector/Remover: I have PestPatrol. It detects Spyware, Adware, Downloadware, and Hacker Tools, and that is the basics without going into details. Is there such a program for Mac that does just as good a job or better than PestPatrol?

I don't believe there is spyware on apples..I switched in july and have yet to find anybody with a spyware issue or program listed and have not found anything running on my powerbooks background

Temp said:
Trojan/Worm Detectors/Removers: Any will do. Just so long as it does a fantastic job.

There are no viruses on macs so you are set on that

Temp said:
Also, using Mac's Internet Service (I forget the name of it). Do they still charge for their e-mail service? Last I heard, which was a long time ago, they had strated charging a fee to use their e-mail service. I need to know if this is still applicable.

Email service is included with .mac

Temp said:
Any insight on the issues I have brought up will be greatly appreciated. These issues are, at the time, my greatest concerns.

Well good luck and you can always come back here if you have more problems

OP
G

grant_464

Im a linux user so I know a thing ro two about the Mac OS...cough cough...lol. Anyways, you shouldnt be as concerned with virus, firewall, and ad protection when it comes to a Mac. The majority of viruses are designed for windows (simply because it is the easiest to penetrate), so many viruses wont even be compatable with Mac.

You do not need to defrag Macs, it is a totally different type of file system that windows.

-Grant

OP
S

shadov

firewall

OS X uses ipfw firewall from FreeBSD. It has simple GUI frontend or you can make your own script if you need something more complex. You can find tons of good tutorials with google. I think there are third party GUI tools that offer more functionality than the standard tools if you don't want to get your hands dirty with scripting, but I haven't looked into it.

I believe OS X differs from Windows same way Linux and BSD do. You can usually trust your own machine. No need for complex two way firewalls most of the time. Just let everything out and related and established connections in. Then punch holes for any services you are offering to outside world and keep track of latest security updates.

OP
S

StarManta

Temp said:

I think there's a checkbox somewhere in System Preferences. ;-)

OP
D

dziner

When you launch your System Preferences you'll see Firewall and you an turn it on or off (not sure if it's by itself or a subset of Network).

No need to defragment

There is no spyware for the Mac.

No need to worry about worms or viruses because there are none.

Mail is the default email program which comes installed with OS X. You can purchase a .mac account for $99.95 which gives you an email account and web space for storing your movies, photos, etc. You don't need this however and if you have an ISP/Broadband service you can just keep that email (like [email protected]).

OP
T

Temp

Hmmm...I should have been more clear in my request.

Yes, a Mac can get a virus, however, from what I learn so far there are few Mac viruses out there and getting one is the equivalent of a freak accident. With basic viruse problems, I am aware that Norton AntiVirus is the way to go.

However, I am still in the dark about Mac and Trojans, Worms, and Spyware. I will take everyones word on that issue at this time, because, I understand that Mac computers don't have a lot of the problems that PC have to put up with. However, I would like to know what Mac related software is available on this issue.

No, defragmenting doesn't effect a Mac's perfromance like it will a PC's. However, after about a year or two of heavy use it can slow it down. I was wanting to know what programs are available on this subject.

Now, here is the main key to my request. I don't want just any program that deals with these subjects. I want:
A: The best money can buy.

B: Programs (i.e. Defragmenter; Firewall; Trojan, Worm, and Sypware Detector/Remover) that have won many awards for what their program can accomplish.

However, don't feel discourage if my reply doesn't go well with some of you. I am not correcting anyone and I am very thankful for the help you have offered. I just saw this going in a different direction than I had planned, and I think it is because I didn't supply enough information as to what I was searching for. For that I do apologize.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright well I don't think they are really necessary these are the programs I think would suit your needs

NetBarrier This is an excellent Trojan blocker and Firewall

Disk Warrior This seems to be the most popular disk utility around

Internet Cleanup This is the only spyware removal tool that i was able to find after searing around for a bit

OP
T

Temp

Ok, yes DiskWarrior is a good product from what I have read. However, I read it on their website so I am not going to take their word for it. This is why I am asking questions. I was once a person who never did that until I started finding out on the forums that I belong to what was wrong with my selection. Why did I buy it? Because, I fell for their slick sales pitch about how they are the best in the business. Unfortunately, for me that turned out not to be the case.

As for your responce about this not being necessary. You are probably right, for the time being, and I am glad about that because when I pay for my Mac there will not be any money left to buy these programs for a while. However, I realize that these issues can come up in the distant future, and I am taking this time to weed out the good programs from the bad. I don't want history to repeat itself, with me coming on here telling everyone how excited I am about my new program, only to have someone say, "You shouldn't have bought that product, it is the worst one on the market."

Oooo! That reminds me! If there are progams that are that bad, and would be in my best interest to stay away from, let me know what they are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well DiskWarrior is also sold directly from apple.com so I think you are safe with it being a good program to install but here are some good reviews.

MacWorld Review

MacObserver

VersionTracker

They all seem to think that it is a solid program to use

OP
W

wiggin1605

For hard drive fixes I have herd good reviews for Drive 10-Micromat.

For Internet security All my friends use Notron Personal Fire Wall an Norton Internet Security, they come up against some really powerful viruses and hackers an say it does a great job at stoping them.

Hey this is over doing it a bit but do you back up your stuff? Then there Ten for X ive seen good reviews for that one.

also if you ever want to completely eliminate your stuff from any hard drive there is Superscrubber its a military grade drive eraser it cover your files in so much gibberish that not even the best people will be able to recover even a single bit or the origonal data.

OP
I

ipmedia

In regards to your firewall guestion: OSX has an integrated Firewall that runs very nicely. If you still need or want another Firewall software, take a look at NetBarrierX3, www.intego.com

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
there are NO viruses for OS X. there are viruses for OS 9 and below, but not X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.