Roaming Network….I think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Hi

I currently have an Extreme base station, connected to my ADSL modem/router, which provides the wireless signal for my house. The signal is fine, but I would like to extend the range by adding another Extreme at the back of the house, so that I can take my iPhone etc into the rear garden, as the signal is weak out there at present. Having trawled the web, I understand that a roaming network can be created with two Airport Extremes, but every article I have read talks about connecting the two via an ethernet cable. This would be impractical for me and I was hoping that they would connect to each other wirelessly. Is this possible?

Also, if this is possible, would the ethernet ports on the second base stations work along with the wireless? I ask this because as well as wanting a wireless point at the rear of the house, I have a Tv in the room (where the second extreme would be placed) which has an ethernet connection for BBC iPlayer/ YouTube etc, and it would be great to have that connected.

Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello - you might want to provide the approximate distance from your AirPort Extreme router to the area in your house of interest along w/ the number of rooms between the two locations & the construction material of the inside walls (e.g. studs/plaster or stone?). Also how do you know the signal strength there is low, and if so any more objective measurement(s)?

Wi-Fi range of course will also vary w/ the 802.11 protocol(s) being used w/ 802.11n being the longest range - some information HERE - a less expensive Wi-Fi extender, such as This ONE (not a recommendation since I have no experience in using this device and just an example), might be a consideration; however, this would need to be placed in-between your current Wi-Fi router and the other location. Now, there are certainly other considerations and options, but please respond to these questions and pose others, if needed. Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We're probably also going to need to know exactly which Airport Extreme models you're using. Some of Apple's gear (my older Time Capsule for example) will not allow the ethernet ports to work if you extend the network wirelessly as you propose. Extending the network that way works but the ethernet ports may or may not depending upon the specific gear involved.

OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Hi, and thanks for the replies.

Not sure of the Extreme model I have, but it is not one of the simultaneous dual band ones. I have to select either 2.4ghz or 5ghz.

The Extreme is connected to my modem/router and I have the wireless part of that turned off. The extreme provides the wireless signal. Now the signal from the existing extreme will reach the back of the house, as it is only 30ft away from the back wall of the house, but the signal on my phone etc. is reduced by about half, at the back of the house. If I go out to the garden and stand by the house wall, then I get a signal, but as I walk further down the garden (obviously) I lose the signal. The idea is to put another extreme (which is a simultaneous dual band) in the room which is 30 ft away from the existing extreme, therefore extending the signal further down the garden.

The walls in my house are all stud walls and the house is all on one level. As far as the two extremes go, they will be able to see each other, almost in a straight line down the house.

Hope that I've explained it clear enough lol :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi again - thanks for the additional information, however, you did not provide the specifics about the Wi-Fi protocol being used, i.e. the 802.11 letters (b/g/n); plus, I'm not understanding why you really need both routers and whether your modem/router is one or two separate units?

Your distances are really short & the walls no big obstacle, so why not just get a modem and a new router (I know that it might be an ISP issue) w/ the latter offering up to 802.11n (or even now 'ac') - take a look @ the attached chart - the 'n' protocol should cover your range well - I have the previous model AirPort Extreme w/ dual broadcasting bands & 'n' technology - I get a signal well to my porch (3 rooms and likely 60+ ft away).

We'll await your responses - must be a reason that you are using both routers? Dave :)

RTC1208_TC_Conn_Table01_large.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.