Wifi problems

Reaction score
The speed of my wifi upload reduces by a factor of ten when I switch on my Mac. Is this amac problem or one with my internet supply

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
How do you know this? Are you seeing slowdowns on your other machines?

The Mac is a computer like any other so it doesn't have a special effect on your network. If your speed drops drastically, it could very well be something to do with your network connection. Does this issue happen if your Mac is on first and then the other machines join the network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) You really need to first provide more information: 1) Mac model/year; 2) OS X installed; 3) Your home network setup (modem/router/ISP); and 4) Devices connecting via Wi-Fi.

Also by 'switch' on your Mac, do you mean from a boot or switching to Wi-Fi? How is the Mac getting internet, i.e. cabled or Wi-Fi. Finally, how are you measuring your speed and is the DL speed also lowered? Answers to these questions will help others to respond more effectively - good luck. Dave

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for the replies. My Mac is two months old running OS 7. I am checking the spread using an app on my ipad. Download speed is not affected. The up load speed is dropping from 1.1 meg to 0.1 meg. It is the same whether on Wifi or hard wired to the internet. The up load speed is 0. 8 meg when the Mac is on standby. Other devices do not seen to affect it.
Hope this info gives more clues, thanks again for the help

Jdstevo

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
My Mac is two months old running OS 7.
Are you referring to your iPad or Mac here? There's no OS 7 for Mac (at least not one built after the 1990s) but there is a 10.7.

If the upload speed plummets elsewhere, I'm led to believe that your Mac is uploading something. Are you trying to upload or send something large with your Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi

Thanks for the replies. My Mac is two months old running OS 7. I am checking the spread using an app on my ipad. Download speed is not affected. The up load speed is dropping from 1.1 meg to 0.1 meg. It is the same whether on Wifi or hard wired to the internet. The up load speed is 0. 8 meg when the Mac is on standby. Other devices do not seen to affect it.
Hope this info gives more clues, thanks again for the help

Hi again - as Vansmith has stated, you need to provide us w/ the correct OS X on your Mac (go to the Apple, left upper corner - click and choose 'About This Mac' - the OS version is at the top) - you also did not provide enough information on your Mac (you said 'new' but is this a brand new machine or a used one?).

Your statement 'checking the spread' using an app on my iPad' makes no sense at all - first, by 'spread', do you mean speed or something else? And if you're trying to check internet speeds on your Mac, why use an iPad (even on the same Wi-Fi network and in the same location, results will be different - I've tested this on my devices multiple times) - so go to Speedtest Net and run the test on your Mac.

Please provide responses to the other post and provide us some additional and clearer information - Dave :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi again

I bought the Mac new Two months ago and updated the operating system to OS X 10.9.1
It was the speed that I ment (spelling slip) I have done the following checks.

With nothing else connected to the wifi system and wired connection to the Mac using speednet.com speeds on the Mac were Upload 0.22 Mps, download 13.92 Mps.

Again with nothing else on the system speed on my ipad with the Mac switched off
Upload 0.97 Mps, download 15.30 Mps

Speed on my ipad with the Mac switched on and logged on with no programs running
Upload 0.18 Mps, download 14.98 Mps

Hope this helps, thanks again

jdstevo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello again & thanks for the clarification - I'm still not sure what you mean by the 'Mac switched off' - i.e. is it attached to an ethernet cable but no Wi-Fi, is it on no cable nor on Wi-Fi, and/or is the Mac turned off completely - don't know?

But I put your numbers into a table (attached) and also added my own Wi-Fi results of my iPad and MBPro (both on wireless from my router in the next room) - my ISP is Time Warner (Road Runner). My speeds are about typical w/ 1/10 the UP number as expected.

However, I can see the difference in your UL speeds which are 5x (and not 10X) for the situation described - BUT, all of your UL speeds are extremely slow - I'd suggest checking w/ your ISP and your plan, i.e. this may not be abnormal - there are so many different options; so, contact your internet provider to get their opinion. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 9.36.36 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Dave:

Your speeds are what I would expect to see on a moderate connection. Typically, an ISP provides a download speed that's much faster than upload. His speeds, however, are way out of line. He should be getting around a 1 Mbps upload speed at least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Dave:

Your speeds are what I would expect to see on a moderate connection. Typically, an ISP provides a download speed that's much faster than upload. His speeds, however, are way out of line. He should be getting around a 1 Mbps upload speed at least.

Hi Chscag - yep, no surprises w/ my speeds, i.e. pretty much expected w/ my service; but agree that the UL speeds of our OP are really SLOW! Not sure what else to recommend except checking w/ his/her ISP - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Can you log into a new user or the guest user on your Mac and then see if the results are the same please.

If there's an application in your normal user uploading (I'm thinking some form of cloud service, photostream, etc) this won't be loaded in the guest user.

OP
J
Reaction score
Upload problems

Hi
I am still experiencing this problem with my iMac. And have tried the following.
I have spoken to my internet provider who assures me that the signal to the house is ok and they have no problems on their system.
I have done a full reset on the router, not just a power off, with no improvement.
The situation remains that with the computer switched off (not on standby) I can operate other devices with no problem. Eg contact people on FaceTime or Skype.
With the computer logged on but no programs running the upload on other devices is seriously impared.
Today I will take the computer to a friend's house and try same checks there. That should at least narrow the problem down to the computer or the internet provider.

Any comments on the above would be appreciated

Jdstevo

OP
J
Reaction score
Problem solved

Carried out above tests at friend's house with same result. Therefore problem is computer not internet connection. Spoke to apple support and with afurther test they confirmed that it is a hardware problem, probably a faulty internet card. I will be returning the computer to the supply for repair.

Thanks for all your help

Jdstevo

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the machine is only two months old and the airport card has failed or is intermittent, I suspect that Apple will give you a new machine. The airport card on a newer iMac machine is integrated to the mother board I believe.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What an odd problem. I'm glad you have a solution coming your way because I'm not sure anyone here has seen anything like this before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Carried out above tests at friend's house with same result. Therefore problem is computer not internet connection. Spoke to apple support and with afurther test they confirmed that it is a hardware problem, probably a faulty internet card. I will be returning the computer to the supply for repair.

Hi Jdstevo - thanks for the follow-up! Just curious but what further 'test' was done to confirm that you had a hardware problem? I'm assuming they remotely control your computer or did you run some suggested software - just curious?

As w/ the others, a very bizarre situation - hope all goes well w/ the new machine - let us know - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Let us know how it goes.

OP
J
Reaction score
Final solution

Thanks to all of you who have tried to assist me. The problem turned out to be my Lack of under stnding of Iphots and ICloud. When I first bought the mac I transferred over. A thousand phots in folders from my old PC. I then open IPhoto's which looked for and made copies of the photos. A couple of days later I synced my Ipad which had copies of the same photos. When later I turned on iCloud sharing it was trilingual to upload over 5000 phots and swamped the system. Maybe Apple should flag up a health warning for the uninitiated. The same thing happened to my daughter befor we realized what the problem was.

Thanks again

jdstevo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.