MacBook Pro is very slow

Reaction score
I was wondering, when the Apple Care Protection runs out what can be done for leaning up a very slow running Mac? OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
What Mac do you have, how much memory installed, how much hard drive space free?

Edit, I see from your previous posts you have a Mac Mini, and upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. If so, additionally to the queries above, what spec is the Mac Mini?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
When it runs out all depends on when you got it. If I remember correctly, AppleCare gives you coverage for three years.

OP
M
Reaction score
MacBook Pro slow as molasses

What Mac do you have, how much memory installed, how much hard drive space free?

Edit, I see from your previous posts you have a Mac Mini, and upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. If so, additionally to the queries above, what spec is the Mac Mini?

My son's computer is the Mini
I have a ~ 5 yr old MacBook Pro
Memory 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
260 bytes (4 KB on disk)

C

chas_m

I spotted your problem.

If you're not kidding and, in fact, have 4KB free space (even if you meant 4MB, still applies), that is tech-ese for *your hard drive is way beyond full and you are in serious danger of losing data.*

I wouldn't even try to fix that problem yourself, I would have someone with a bootable external drive boot up the machine from that and help you to sort out what can be deleted (ever empty the trash?) because the machine simply cannot operate properly with that tiny amount of free space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.