how to open docs in Word instead of Open Office?

Reaction score
I have been using Open Office for word processing for some time. I recently downloaded Microsoft Word 2004 for Mac. Both work fine but here is the problem: When I receive a Word document from someone else as an email attachment Open Office tries to open it. Often it won't open at all or if it does open the formatting is changed. Can anyone tell me how to change the default from Open Office to Word?

I should add that I'm using a MacBook with OS 10.5.8
thanks for the help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you installed a legal copy of Office 2004, the installation routine would make Word the default for all *.doc files. Where did you download it from?

OP
S
Reaction score
It is a legal copy. It was the last download on a "3 download" disk that we had had kicking around for some time.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, what threw me was the "download" part. Sorry if I sounded like I was suspicious but we do have folks who ask us questions regarding illegal downloads.

What you can try is this: Select a word document, right click on it, and go to "open with". Then select Word 2004 to open the document. Also select make this the default. Afterward, the Word documents will open with Word 2004. You can do the same with any Excel and Powerpoint documents.

OP
S
Reaction score
That's okay. I understand that you need to be on the look out for illegal activity.

I did as you suggested which led to a message that I needed to download a converter which I did. All is well now and the .docx files open fine after a brief pause for conversion. Thank you so much for solving the problem.

One more follow up question: When I select "open with Microsoft Word" it will do so but still shows Open Office as the default. I do not see a place where I can change the default to MS Word. Any ideas of where else I can look?
thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know, it's been so long since I've used Leopard that my memory is rusty on where that is. However, here's something that works for sure and it can be used for any application.

Download the free "RCDefaultApp" utility from here. It installs in the "other" category of System Preferences. With it you can set the default of any application you wish. Let us know if it works for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You did well - that XML Converter will handle things nicely.

OP
S
Reaction score
Download the free "RCDefaultApp" utility from here.

Turns out the place to change the default setting is in Finder Get Info. I learned that by following your link and reading the info page for the RCDefaultApp.

Thank you so much for the help. You have saved me much time and many headaches.
all the best,
Sue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I had the same issue with Libre Office. Since it had served its purpose and I no longer planned to use it, it went into the Trash! Just wondering though why these "maverick" programs take over for what should be the default.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Because for most people, that's what they want. 90% of people don't know how to change defaults and this saves the headaches.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.