• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

ilife 11 or latest iPhoto/imovie?

Reaction score
Hello,
iv finally gone ahead and got a new (second hand iMac) and its time to place my old ibook g4 into a corner to gather dust.

Apart from the obvious advantages of it being a faster/newer machine (in fact if i had a machine wired up to a hamster wheel it would actually appear fast in comparison to my ibook!) i mainly got it to use to store my pictures and edit my movies- (mini dv set up)

I didn't realise it did not come supplied with ilife but thats not the end of the world. The main question is.....

is it worth buying ilfe11 or getting the latest downloads of iPhoto and iMovie via the apps store? is there any major differences that make the latest movie/photo apps that much better?

Also if there are better movie editing software please suggest these options

not that i think it matters but the specs of the machine are >

osx 10.9.1
2.93 intel core 2
4gb 1067 mhz ddr3

thanks in advance,
Cheers,

Vinnie

C

chas_m

IMO, the latest versions of iMovie and iPhoto are improved enough to warrant using them. As a podcaster who creates enhanced podcasts, I'm ... a little upset ... over the removal of those features from Garageband, but they wisely left the old one in place so I can enjoy the best of both the "old" and new versions of GB. But that's the only one of the iLife programs I have an issue with (versus the previous version).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
The new iMovie has had a lot of adverse comments, but having(more or less) got to grips with it, it's not too bad. The one good thing is that you can now import AVCHD footage direct from a camcorder. However, you can't do everything with it that you can do with iMovie11(v9)

The one thing that will stop me using it, is that you can only produce projects in wide format(16:9). I still use a miniDV camcorder that produces 4:3 video, so I shall stick with iMovie11 until I have to get a new camcorder.

When you download the new iMovie, your old iMovie gets put in a separate folder, so you still have it available.

OP
V
Reaction score
cheers for the replies lads. is there any decent free movie editing software? just set my computer up and in the app store hardly anything is free compared to my iPhone 5

C

chas_m

There is free software. There is decent software. There is editing software.

Pick any two. :)

(iMovie is already on your computer and is far beyond decent, so you should probably start there)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.