Driving a 2560x1440 non-Apple monitor with a 2013 MacBookPro

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Time to retire my 2007 iMac and replace it with a shiny new 15" MacBookPro, with an external display, keyboard and mouse when using it at home.

What I want to do:

- Single connection from the MBP to my desktop set-up, either by Thunderbolt or USB 3.0

- Drive a WQHD (2560x1440) monitor at its maximum resolution (i.e. NOT at 1920x1080).

Options include:
- The Apple Thunderbolt display, which has received mixed reviews, is expensive, and provides only USB 2.0 functionality from the docking/interface/hub point of view.
- CalDigit Thunderbolt Station + 3rd party monitor.
- USB 3.0 dock (e.g. Kensington) + 3rd party monitor.

What I'm unsure of is if the MBP will in fact drive a 2560x1440 external display via either Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 dock arrangement (i.e. if I buy a HMDI 1.3 capable display, will the Mac be able to deliver full WQHD resolution to it via the Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 dock?)

I really don't want to have to plug in a gazillion cables every time I use the MBP at home, but it's unclear if I can make use of the available resolution without doing so?

Cheers,
Chris

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you're going to be connecting the monitor to the dock in lieu of direct to the MBP, then you'll need to find out if the dock can pass through that resolution.

I'd look to see if Caldigit and Kensington have the Owner's Manual online &/or check their FAQ's or contact their support.

OP
D
Reaction score
If you're going to be connecting the monitor to the dock in lieu of direct to the MBP, then you'll need to find out if the dock can pass through that resolution.

I'd look to see if Caldigit and Kensington have the Owner's Manual online &/or check their FAQ's or contact their support.

The Kensington USB 3.0 dock definitely can't, but the Caldigit is purported to support HDMI 1.4 which does (is meant to) support that resolution. Waiting to hear back from Caldigit to confirm.

Cheers,
Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.