Keychain registration

Reaction score
hello. I am trying to register for Keychain through System Preferences. Eventually, after a few steps I am asked for a contact phone number for security reasons. The problem is that my country of residence is not on the drop list. I cannot give someone else's number as it would be inconvenient to them and me. So, it seems as if I cannot register. Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this hassle? Thank you

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
??? There is no registration for Keychain. Keychain is a service/semi-password manager in OS X.

Are you trying to set up an iCloud account? Which can sync the Keychain across devices.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I take it you're referring to the iCloud Keychain sync option in System Preferences, iCloud? If you are, please explain further exactly what it is you're trying to do?

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi there and thanks for the quick replies.Apologies for not having explained myself more clearly. Yes, i am trying to set up a synchronised Keychain on my iCloud. So, i go to System Preferences on my MBP, click iCloud, click Keychain, enable iCloud Keychain, sign in to iCloud and I am asked to enter my passcode. I do and everything is fine. The next step is my problem. I am asked to enter a phone number that can receive SMS messages to verify my identity when using my iCloud Security Code. But, my country of residence, Brunei Darussalam, is not included in the drop menu. Must I give the number of someone abroad? As I cannot proceed past this window without a valid number, I am stuck...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
SMS support through Apple's servers are not yet available in your country.

Set it up per the instructions here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.