iPhone app backup

Reaction score
Hi, is that possible to back up/restore certain apps (not all) from my iPhone? I wanted to backup few apps with data from my old iPhone 4S so I can transfer them to the new iPhone 5.
Hardware/devices:
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1
iPhone 5 latest iOS
iCloud 10GB
Diehard Mac user for 25 years

Thanks in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You mean selectively backup and then restore? It's easier to just backup your 4S to either the cloud or iTunes, restore to the 5, and then remove those apps you don't want or need.

OP
S
Reaction score
iPhone backup

You mean selectively backup and then restore? It's easier to just backup your 4S to either the cloud or iTunes, restore to the 5, and then remove those apps you don't want or need.

I'd tried it back up on iCloud, but I have installed more than 600 apps on my iPhone 4S which I want to keep all there. It is a time consuming to remove unwanted apps one by one. Yes, I just want to selectively backup the apps to restore on my new iPhone.

C

chas_m

Actually it's not very time-consuming. There's a screen in iTunes (on your Mac or PC) that will let you very quickly mass-delete all the apps (apart from the included Apple apps, of course) and then just (very quickly) keep just those few you'd like to hold onto on the new device.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't believe the above is going to sync the app data to a new device, only the app itself. It's not going to sync your current position in a game from one device to another.

The only way you're going to accomplish moving individual app data from one iDevice to another is going to be manually via some 3rd party software like iExplorer. Personally, think it'd be faster to restore a backup from another device and then delete 500 apps than it would be to hunt down and move individual app data for 10 apps from one device to another.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Don't believe the above is going to sync the app data to a new device, only the app itself. It's not going to sync your current position in a game from one device to another.

It's the app data that gets backed up to iCloud.... not the app.

When you restore the data/game progression/settings etc gets restored to your device then the app is downloaded afresh.

Never used to be like this but since iOS6 it's been this way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.