Time Machine, not restore but getting the files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA mid-2013 (10.12.4), iPad 5th gen (10.3.1)
Hi,

First a sum up of what happened:

This (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5475679?start=0&tstart=0) happened to my Macbook Air mid-2013 a while ago - This, I mean computer crashed if I tried to awake it while it was trying to sleep.

I contacted Apple, meanwhile googled everywhere and I concluded that I had to ship my computer to a service point. They didn't change anything on the computer, but when I got it today, the problem went away! I tried a fresh install as well but it didn't change anything for me.

Anyway, now it works and doesn't crash (I hope it stays like that) and Apple support told me that it is a software issue which is known and going to be fixed as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, like any user would do, some Apple customers gathered on Apple Discussions and tried stuff. Two of these guys got their computer fixed and got rid of the problem. One of them got the same problem after he did a Time Machine restore. So, he didn't do it the last time and as far as I know, his computer is fine.

Now to my problem;

I left some files only on the Time Machine backup. I also have my software on it. Because I am new to Mac OS, I don't remember the names of my "favorite" applications, so I want to have my files and at least the names of my applications without doing a Time Machine restore.

Is this possible? If so, how? If not, I'll have to risk it and restore the whole thing.

EDIT: I asked this question on the Apple Discussions site under the linked thread as well. I'll let you and them know if I find an answer, so that no one wastes their time by trying to help me while I already got the help. Sorry for that.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA mid-2013 (10.12.4), iPad 5th gen (10.3.1)
It turns out that I can easily explore what's in the backup :) That was the first time I opened the Time Machine hard drive and everything was there.
It'll take some time to get the right files but that's a start!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.