MBA 15" nvidia noise and speed?

Reaction score
So I am considering replacing my 2010 imac i7 with a new Macbook pro 15. The most important needs I have for it is for using Lightroom 5 for wedding photography so speed is important. It should be a lot faster than my iMac, but I am conserned about noise.

Is there any noise difference between the standard 15 MBA and the one with nvidia? Also what are your experiences with noise levels (current versions only).

THANKS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 15" Intel Core i5 / iPhone 6 / iPhone 6 plus
I don't know why you care that much about noise, but you shouldn't worry about it: no significant noise differences between them. I went to school once with my Dad's MBA and my friend went with his MBA Nvidia. When I asked about noise, we turned our MBAs on and they sounded same.

Hope I helped!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you are really that concerned, you need to hit an Apple store and start up a video (perhaps 2-4 of them in multiple browser tabs, using Flash perhaps) and let the GPU get cranking until the fans hit around 6000 RPM.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm going to make a general statement that an Apple laptop computer compared to a desktop iMac is generally going to make more "noise". I have an iMac with an i5 cpu...and a MacBook Pro with an i7 cpu.

When I use each of them (doing the same activities...in the same physical environment)...the temp is about 95°F. I can hear the fans on the MBP...but not the iMac. I think that's because of the tighter spacing in a laptop computer...the fans need to run more often & and possibly at a higher rpm (noise) to maintain the same temp.

The noise I experience from the MBP is not necessarily irritating...but it is definitely there....while the iMac is silent.

What I'm trying to say is...if noise is a BIG concern...you may be better off keeping your current iMac. Or if you need an upgrade...get a new iMac. And if you NEED portability...then you must get the MBP...and be willing to accept any fan noise you encounter.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.