Canon printer won't work

Reaction score
I've just bought a new printer, the Canon MX395.
I installed it, it worked fine, scanned some stuff, printed something, all was well.
But a little while later when I tried again, I get this error;
"The scanner is not available while in use by another application or user"

I looked around on the internet but have no idea what on earth is going on.
I've reinstalled the software, turned printer on and off again, no luck.

Has anyone got any advice?

My laptop is a few years old but has the latest OS.

Reaction score
What MacOSX do you have. Have a quick scout on Canon website because they only go up to 10.8. Also there is a firmware update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I've just bought a new printer, the Canon MX395.
I installed it, it worked fine, scanned some stuff, printed something, all was well.

I looked around on the internet but have no idea what on earth is going on.
I've reinstalled the software, turned printer on and off again, no luck.

My laptop is a few years old but has the latest OS.

Hello - not sure that I can help much at the moment w/ the information provided, but some more details might help: 1) Specific model/year of your laptop; 2) OS X version installed; 3) Type of communication between the printer & laptop (e.g. USB cabled, Wi-Fi, etc.); and 4) Who else is on your network and/or computer?

In the mean time and as already suggested, try the troubleshooting tips HERE; also, you might want to logout of your user account and into another to see if that makes a difference; finally, reboot the laptop & your modem/router - good luck! Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
When you say you re-installed the printer software where did you get that from?
As a rule I never use the supplied disc and on newer Mac's with no optical drive that problem is alleviated.
When you add a printer on a Mac it will find the correct drivers in its database if the mfg provided them.
Try running software update on the Mac and then restart.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Your printer probably installed OK but something is not letting go after the print job finishes. Did you try a reboot and then try the Canon again? And by the way, Canon printers are a real pain to get setup and working correctly especially wireless.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Your printer probably installed OK but something is not letting go after the print job finishes. Did you try a reboot and then try the Canon again? And by the way, Canon printers are a real pain to get setup and working correctly especially wireless.

Definitely agree with that. Sometimes the wireless function will just suddenly quit even if it is configured correctly and has been working previously.

@OP If at all possible connect the printer via usb and see if it is functioning properly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.