MacKeeper - Getting rid of it & getting a refund?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 9,1 Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz, 2gb RAM, Snow Leopard, Macbook 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, SL
Hello,

Someone else in my family unfortunately downloaded and purchased MacKeeper for our family Imac computer due to a pop-up claiming that the computer didn't have any security.

Mean time I have found out but it is already installed and purchased (a few minutes too late and $90 down the drain!). :Grimmace:

I have searched google and it sounds like a potentially very dangerous piece of software, not to mention a huge waste of money and purchased based on false claims. So I have deleted the application and emptied the trash. I don't know whether that is enough to eradicate any potentially dangerous elements of this software? I came accross this website about removing mackeeper which I may need to look into: how to uninstall MacKeeper – updated |

I could also tell the computer was thinking very hard and making a lot of noise with the application open - but this is probably expected anyway.

Also I'm wondering whether there is any grounds with which the purchaser can get a refund? It was purchased today and deleted within about 10 minutes.

Many Thanks!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm not sure what their refund policy is right now. At the moment I can't find any mention of refunds. The closest I can find is the contact information here. I don't hold out a lot of hope but it can't hurt to ask.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
At one time they were advertising a money back guarantee, however, that was some time ago when we were doing a test review of the application. I had downloaded their trial version for test purposes and their advertisements to me indicated a refund if I wasn't satisfied with the purchase. Again that was almost a year ago though.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 9,1 Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz, 2gb RAM, Snow Leopard, Macbook 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, SL
It seems I am having trouble fully getting rid of this pesky program.

I dragged the application to trash can and emptied it.
I then searched through folders and files and deleted all the files relating to the program and again emptied the trash.

I also read through the article about removing MacKeeper.

I have then opened the Activity Manager and "MacKeeperATd" is showing up under user: root and it has some activity. I click it and press quit but it just pops back up. I also tried force quit but the same happens - it disappears then immediately reappears with a different PID (Process ID)
I have also restarted the computer after doing all this and still showing up with activity in the "Activity Manager"

Anyone got any ideas to completely remove this stupid software!?
I don't have time machine on so I can't use that. I'm dreading the thought of manually backing everything up and wiping the hard drive and. (I know I know it should be backed up already - but it isn't at the moment!)

Many Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Look in these places to see if it's still showing up:

Macintosh HD/Library/LaunchAgents

Macintosh HD/Library/LaunchDaemons

Macintosh HD/Library/StartupItems/

Macintosh HD/System/Library/LaunchAgents

Macintosh HD/System/Library/LaunchDaemons

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/LaunchAgents/

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Check where chscag suggested.

I just went to their Buy it page. Here is the URL and look at the bottom right and you will find a Guaranty. Read the 3rd part. Says FULL 365 Day Money back Guaranty if not satisfied.

Buy MacKeeper and Save 90%

Tell them you are not and demand your $$$ back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Was the family member who purchased the software online under the age of 18?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.