Printer Share Blues...

L

LeaPod

:yinyang: Love the forum! I just got a PowerBook G4 for my lovely wife. I'm having problems with networking though. I have a wired/wireless network set up with my PCs, and our printer/scanner is connected to my pc. I tried to connect to my printer over the network, and I can see it, but I don't have any drivers for my specific printer nor can I print to it, I get an "Error while Printing" error. Any thoughts on how to fix this issue? Or do I have to get a print server?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
you may find some GIMP drivers for the printer in question. I don't think you need a print server. Also check the manufacturer's site for OSX compatible drivers; if not, search for GIMP printer drivers. My printer was not covered driver wise by Panther so I found a GIMP driver that covered it. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
LeaPod said:
:yinyang: Love the forum! I just got a PowerBook G4 for my lovely wife. I'm having problems with networking though. I have a wired/wireless network set up with my PCs, and our printer/scanner is connected to my pc. I tried to connect to my printer over the network, and I can see it, but I don't have any drivers for my specific printer nor can I print to it, I get an "Error while Printing" error. Any thoughts on how to fix this issue? Or do I have to get a print server?
What is the exact printer model? Also, you can install additional printer drivers right in Mac OS X from the first install disc.

OP
L

LeaPod

Sorry, I forgot to put in the printer type. It's an HP PSC 1510 All-In-One. I checked their site, and I tried installing their driver install stuff, but I think it's for direct USB connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
LeaPod said:
Sorry, I forgot to put in the printer type. It's an HP PSC 1510 All-In-One. I checked their site, and I tried installing their driver install stuff, but I think it's for direct USB connection.
I use the PSC 1610 All-In-One, so this shouldn't be an issue. Now you're saying it's connected to your actual network via an ethernet connection, right? Okay, pop in mac OS X Install Disc 1 and there should be something in there called "Install Additional software." Look specifically for the HP printer drivers and see if that helps.

OP
L

LeaPod

Sorry for the bump, i've been on vaca for a week away from my home network. So I got the disk and installed the new drivrs, but still canna get it to work... :bandage:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.