Home made DVDs Won't Play On Mac.

Reaction score
Several years ago now, I created a DVD of all our old home made cine movies from years ago. I put hours of work in on this and designed all the jewel case and everything making it quite a neat job. I did all this using Sony Movie Studio on a Windows machine. Since then times have moved on somewhat and I now own an Apple iMac machine. The trouble is that now when ever I go to insert the DVD that I made into the iMac, firstly I get a loud burring sound which is like something running down, until it comes to a complete stop. Nothing happens except having the effect of jamming the whole of my mac up and the only thing I can then do is manually switch off and back on again, in the hope that then the DVD will be spat back out. Is this a codec problem or something else? Any help would be most appreciated indeed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It could be either the DVD media itself or the optical drive in your iMac. You didn't mention how old your iMac is, but you might wish to buy a can of compressed air and blow a few blasts in the drive to clear away any possible dust that might be on the lens.

Have you tried to play the DVDs you made in another machine or DVD player?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.