Running a windows programme?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I want to load and run a Windows programme called Trace Your Route Everywhere. I have no wish to put Windows OS on my MBP, just this programme at the moment.

What is the best programme to use to run it? The TYRE web site recomends Wine, but when I look at the Wine site I can't fathom out which download I need

WineHQ - Wine Binary Downloads

Has anyone used this programme, either Wine or TYRE on a Mac and if so which download did you use please?

My MBP is running Mavericks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You don't want to download WINE raw and install it. It's too confusing and will require more work to install a program. What I suggest is to download the free "WineBottler" which includes WINE and an automatic installer for quite a few programs. It also includes manual instructions for installing. I use it to run several real old Windows programs that are my favorites. (games) It works real well and is free.

Here is the WineBottler download link.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I am sorry, I thught that I had replied to this earlier? It's an age thing:Oops:

I have downloaded WineBottler and am desprately trying to find out how to get my programme into it, or wherever it had to go?

I can't find out how it works? Sorry to be so dim! When I try to open it from the Applications icon, right hand side of the Dock, it tells me not possible cause it isn't downloaded from Apple. I know that I can change the security to allow anything, but an reluctant to do so. So I go to Finder and open it via there. I finish up with this and have no idea as to how I get it to recognise the TYRE programme that I want to use?

Any ideas as to how to get it to work for me would be great please.

Edit : - I have tried to put the TYRE programme into the Winebottler programme by using the 'Advanced' button, selecting 'Browse' and selecting the TYRE exe and it starts to look as if it'd going to load with the small 'Install' window showing the bar graph. When it gets 1/2 way over it stops and nothing else happens there. But when it first starts the tyre programme wizard appears and tries to load the programme. It appears to load but comes up with an exception that I failed to do a screen grab of.

I am getting so very confused now? IIf I give up waiting for the programme to finish loading and cancel it then it just tells me that 'Prefix creation abouted' with an OK button to click and then the yellow 'Advanced' window appears. My stinking cold is not helping either ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.