Loading OSX 10.3.9 and Quicktime 7.1

Reaction score
Recent iMac purchase with 10.8.5 blew up some DVD Training tapes I sometimes still use. I have tried to get my old Powerbook (1025) working just to view these tapes. The hard drive is toast but I can load the system from an old Firewire peripheral. I need to get to Quicktime 7.1 to view the tapes and for that I need 10.3.9. Problem is 10.3.9 won't load if a peripheral Firewire drive is attached. I would rather not partition my iMac drive and run 10.8. Any hope? I am recently retired so I don't want to throw a lot of money at this problem.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks. IMac is fine but DVDs won't run in Lion. Source company suggests partitioning drive and keeping Snow Leopard on partition or using another machine. So thats why I am trying to get my old Powerbook running OS 10.9 and Quicktime 7.1 (also needed for DVD) with no luck since the system is running from the peripheral Firewire disk.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Lion has no problem playing standard DVDs and VLC mentioned above is a good alternative.

Don't know what "blew up" refers to.

"DVD" and "tapes" don't really belong together.
Are you trying to view a DVD or a tape?

Can only guess this must be a DVD from some company that placed individual quicktime videos on the disc instead of creating a DVD video. If this is the case:

Would try putting the DVD back into the iMac, use Finder to browse the content of the DVD and try right click on an individual video, select Open with and choose Quicktime.

If that doesn't work, then try the link cradom provided above and download the appropriate version of Quicktime 7 and try it again.

If this DVD is not a video disc, but an application disc designed for PPC Macs, the above may/may not work and you may indeed need to try and get your old PB running.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.