Good OCR Program for OSX?

Reaction score
Hi Mac-Forums,

I just wanted to know what the best and most friendly priced app for OCR on OSX is.

Basically I need to edit scanned documents which show up as images for various reasons but I wouldnt know were to start on looking for a OCR program on OSX as I am only new to the OS.

The app needs to recognize the text from which is scanned then be able to edit it via the scanned document.

Appreciate your help guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You can't go past Smile Softwares PDF Pen 6 . . . It also has a iOS App to complement it. You will be paying for quality and with PDF Pen you are. I have never come across such a powerful program as this, and its quick, as well.
PDF Pen ~ $59.95
PDF Pen Pro 6 ~ $99.95
PDF Pen iPad ~ $14.95

I can't recommend these products enough. It will take some getting use to with the Pro 6 version, but as i said, its a powerful App. Then again, i have found i can do a lot with the PDF Pen for iPad as well. I usually, start out on the iPad, then use iCloud to have them waiting on my Mac and away i go. Brilliant !!!! ;)

One thing, is if you get the iPad version, its worth every cent, but invest in a Stylus as well. I have the Adonit ~ Jot Touch 4 and works a treat when it comes to signing the document at the end of it all. You can scribble, doodle and do what ever you need, if its a edit and re-write for someone else.
As i said, well worth the investment, and you will wonder how you worked without it, once you get it :) and by no way am I affiliated with Smile, having the PDFScan+ and Text Expander for Mac and iOS too.

EDIT : Word of warning, if you decide to go down this avenue, look at buying from their website and not from the Mac App Store, because with Apples Sandboxing restrictions, they become limited in what they can offer you, as in TextExpander, i bought the Mac App Store version, then couldn't update to the next. I had to download from their site, and with the Mac App Store .v installed it was only then i got the licence, and pay a measly $15 for the upgrade . . .

Cheers

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I'm looking for an OCR solution too. If I get one of the apps above, will the scanned document support higher levels of zoom? Does the previously 'picture' text become a font which can then be rendered at higher levels of detail? Or is the only benefit the ability to select and copy text which was previously just an image?

I ask because I want to be able to read scanned documents on my iPad and, currently, zooming in (when the eyes are feeling tired!) doesn't really help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Here is a image i have in My Documents from when i first bought PDFPen For iPad when it came out. Its a PDF i imported from DropBox (and in settings, you can have a Folder in DropBox Synced to PDF Pen) and i made some changes to the document (its OCR and got the Font exact) and i threw onto it a image of the Stylus i use with it. I just pinch zoomed it so you could see the Text as well as the image to show you that it works, and is very clear (this is a given with the Apps of today, it would be a useless App if you couldn't). . . So the answer is Yes for PDFPen For iPad . . .
Zoomed and Normal for you and i selected Text so you can see what it offers you when you want to change it. Its the best App out there IMHO for what it does.

O3z6j6h.png
0plQQRZ.png

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool, thanks.

Roughly how long does it take to process an A5 page of reasonably sized text from a fairly clean image?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just did some tests, and you would be better off getting PDFpen Scan+ with OCR, PDF text export. With the PDFPen you can change text in Original PDFs, not scanned ones, but with the above App, it does True OCR and you will be able to work with that. Read up the Description and for $4.99 its worth the try.
PDFPen for iPad works amazingly well for the original PDF work, but didn't work on a scanned Document, like the above PDFPen OCR App will.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Hello everybody. I am interested to an OCR software too, it has to recognize and edit scanned pdf's .Better but not necessary if it has a ipad version (it must have a version for mac, however)

I followed with interest this 3d, but could not understand one thing: if PDFpen Scan+ with OCR, PDF text export has some features more than PDFpen, why does the second cost more?

Wandering in the internet, I have heard very good things about ABBY FineReader pro for mac and PDF converter per mac, which should be the mac version of Omnipageas well. Has anyone experience with them?

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No idea on comparative pricing.

I went with TatooedMac's suggestion and it worked really well for photographs but less well for attempting to scan sizeable (400+ pages) PDFs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.