Space Bar in Mail

Reaction score
When I press the space bar, Mail goes to the next message. Difficult to compose a reply, for example.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) You really need to provide much more information: 1) Mac model & year; 2) OS X installed; 3) When did the problem start?; 4) Does it occur w/ all of your emails or possibly ones w/ special formatting and/or from the same source? and 5) Does the spacebar work properly in other apps, such as TextEdit, Notes, etc.?

For starters, I would suggest 'Force Closing' the Mail App, then reopen to see if the behavior is corrected (open the Apple menu and select 'Force Quit' - pick Mail) - good luck and please post back your responses - Dave

OP
I
Reaction score
Space Bar

OK--I am on Mavericks 10.9.1 with my iMac; lots of memory, lots of storage. This space bar behavior just started. I did restart, then restarted from my backup clone. Same result. So I deleted the Mail client and restored it by reinstalling Mavericks.

The space bar still goes to the next message in line. The issue came to light when I was trying to fill a form that had been emailed to me. I clicked on the "response" window and could type letters but as soon as I needed a space--Bang--out of the form and into the next message.

The space bar works normally for other applications, such as Word, Excel, and even the Thunderbird mail client. I have looked into the Keyboard Settings screen but there does not seem to be anything there that could be triggered by just the space bar.

Am I doomed to using Thunderbird?

C

chas_m

Ah! So the problem is that you're trying to fill in a form "inline" in Mail rather than actually composing a reply. I think that's the root of the problem: you can't actually do that.

The form came as an attachment, right? Try dragging the attachment to the desktop or saving it somewhere else and open it in the right program for filling out the form -- if it's a PDF then you need Acrobat Pro (expensive!) or PDFPen (less expensive!) or possibly Preview will let you do this (haven't tried that, but at least it's free).

OP
I
Reaction score
Chas_m, thanks for the information. Your suggestion of dragging to desktop worked fine. And Preview does open PDFs. So all is well in Mac Mail land.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.