Reinstall operating system

Reaction score
Have a Windows background, but this MAC is driving me crazy. Installed boot camp but now want to remove it, wipe the entire drive, reload the operating system, and start over. But before doing so, I need to save some of the pictures and other files. How do I know which are the real files, and which are simply "pointers." I have spent $$$ on instruction books, but none of them seem to have the answers. I have too many questions for a forum, but where can I go to find some simple answers such as to how much space is left on the hard drive? Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome tot eh forums.

Where are these files you wish to save ~ OS X or Windows?

If OS X get an external drive in a caddy and use cloning software such as SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloning to make a bootable copy of the OS X system complete with photos, applications etc.

If in Windows tougher proposition. Maybe Acronis True Image will be the go for cloning. For disk space go to Disk Utility in Utilities and this will tell you the amount of free space when you select the drive/partition.

Best way to remove the Windows partition is via BootCamp Assistant. Start it up and you will get the option to remove and space will be restored.

OP
G
Reaction score
Many thanks from the land "down under." I have many pleasant memories of my brief visit there some years ago. The files of interest are on OS X. But I don't want to make a copy of the entire drive, just remove a group of pictures, put them on a flash drive, etc. Are they all stored in one place, and can I copy the entire folder or whatever it is, in one operation, or do I have to select them one at a time? Is there anything like a directory structure such as one has in Windows? If so, where does one find it? Again, thanks for your help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Is there anything like a directory structure such as one has in Windows? If so, where does one find it?
Exactly like Windows Explorer, no. Similar, yes. Change the View to Columns in a Finder window.

For disk space go to Disk Utility in Utilities and this will tell you the amount of free space when you select the drive/partition.

Or simply look at the bottom of an open Finder window.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.