Mac 27 2014 spec

Reaction score
I'm about to buy a new mac 27" - however I'm getting buyers remorse, I'm worried that in the next three months apple will bring out a newer version - what should I do? :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Just go for it and enjoy. The current model is only a new release:-
Apple iMac review (2013)

@ the OP - completely agree w/ Harry, i.e. if you wait for the spring, then you'll want to know what might come out 6 months later - if you want/need the computer now then no reason for a delay - good luck!

Dave :)

OP
bigandbald
Reaction score
Boom - just ordered a new mac 27" off apple - so excited can't wait - never had a mac before
Do I need to put a firewall on to computer like Norton

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, your firewall is not needed as long as you're behind a router. And as long as you practice sensible computing, an anti virus application is not needed. You're going to enjoy your new 27" iMac. I just purchased one myself last month and I can tell you that the display is great. I especially like being able to edit a three page document on the screen all at once using MS Word.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
He has Dave - later post says he ordered!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@bigandbald:

I've combined both your threads as they are the same subject and moved it from the "Lounge" where it does not belong to our "Desktops" forum where it does belong. Let's keep the thread all together and in the proper forum. Thanks..

OP
bigandbald
Reaction score
Mac 27''

So excited I'm like a kid at Christmas - so I gather you don't need a firewall on the mac
How does the computer protect its self - does it have it's own firewall, my router is an orange bright box ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple has built in anti malware protection in Mavericks and also previous operating systems. You don't hear much about it, but it's there and Apple keeps it up to date. As for the firewall, all modern routers have a built in firewall. You didn't mention which one you have but if you look it up or go to the manufacturer's web site, you can find more information about it there. You can also read about a router firewall here. The article is several years old but what it says still applies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So excited I'm like a kid at Christmas - so I gather you don't need a firewall on the mac
How does the computer protect its self - does it have it's own firewall, my router is an orange bright box ?

Hello again & congrats! You are going to enjoy that new Mac!

Besides the excellent advice already given about malware/routers/firewalls, take a look at these links: 1) Security Awareness; and 2) Virus/Malware Guide - good luck w/ your new toy! Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Apple normally has about a 18 month (year 1/2) refresh estimate on their Mac model line up. Which isn't to bad as most will update their machines every other model before buying a new machine. Even more conserved buyers can go every 3rd model and still have a wonderful machine when they go to upgrade.

Now I assume since you said 27 Mac, your referring to 27inch iMac :) Which features the latest Intel Haswell CPU that has only been out just little over 6 months now. Even if Apple updated the iMac a year from today, the upgrade would not be a huge leap and IMHO unless the system as a whole offered something huge over the past ones. It would be a waste of money.

So that said, grab the latest iMac and feel confident you will have a solid performing machine for the next 4 years. Only thing I suggest is to max out your RAM (or at least 16GB) and make sure you get at least the 1TB Fusion drive for best performance. iMacs are not exactly user upgrade friendly..

OP
bigandbald
Reaction score
My New Imac 27"

I really appreciate all the advice you guys have given me - the only upgrade I've opted for
Was 8GB to 16GB of RAM not really sure what that is but assume it's something to do with
Processor memory - I might be barking up the wrong tree. One of my close friends recommended that this was necessary.
Just curious I do loads of on line courses for work and was just wondering whether I'm going to have to down load Java and Adobe Reader to get pop ups within the course working?
I feel a little out of my depth because I'm amongst some really gifted and clever individuals
Like yourselves - who obviously live and breathe apple computers. So please forgive my misgivings and short comings and stupid questions.

OP
bigandbald
Reaction score
Just noted I've been a member on then mac web forum for almost three years and this is the first time I've actually bought a mac - however I'm now on my third iPhone which is a 4S 32GB and also the proud owner of a iPad Air 128GB - it was the iPad that actually made me join the Mac Forum and get dish envy - my trusted HP laptop has been taken over from me by my kids and wife who have not loved or cared for it - it's a bit battered bruised - plus every time you open the lid the screen starts to flash then go off, the only way around this is too jiggle the lid and if you're very Lucky the screen will light up again.
Plus my Twin brother has bought a new desktop HP with touch screen and he hates the new
Windows 8 system. My computer at work runs a windows 7 format and it's rubbish.
It's very sad but every time I go into town I would make my compulsory visit to the apple shop just to play around on the mac computer (like a school kid at a sweetie shop lol).
Can I view XL and word documents on Mac or will I have to download office onto Mac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can I view XL and word documents on Mac or will I have to download office onto Mac?

Yes. Just put your cursor on the file and press the space bar. Quick Look will open them for view. Also, TextEdit (which comes with your Mac) can open and edit Word files. Also - and this is a bonus from Apple = The first time you get on your new iMac and go to the Mac App Store, Apple will offer its iWork applications for free download. The iWork applications are:

Pages (Word), Numbers (Excel), and Keynote (Powerpoint). Have fun.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also a quick note, OSX HAS a software Firewall built in and has for a long time. Is under System Preferences, Security.

Enjoy your new iMac when it arrives and don't worry about it like you would a Windows system.

OP
bigandbald
Reaction score
Desk

I plan to put my new mac in my bedroom - I'm after a contemporary desk that won't cost an arm or a leg - any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I plan to put my new mac in my bedroom - I'm after a contemporary desk that won't cost an arm or a leg - any suggestions?

Hi again - you might want some advice on location of your new computer before picking the location above?

Now, I'm assuming that you have a broadband connection coming into your house (probably either cable or DSL) - correct? And, I'm also assuming that you will want a 'wireless' router so that you can have cabled & Wi-Fi connection to your other electronic devices, e.g. laptop(s), iPads, Roku or Apple TV, HDTV, etc. (I have about 10 devices communicating w/ my Apple Extreme router).

SO, where does your broadband ISP enter your house? Is it central? What else do you want attached (either cabled or wirelessly)? Let us know before deciding on furniture for your new computer in a far corner of your house? Dave :)

OP
bigandbald
Reaction score
My router is a orange bright box the main phone socket is down stairs however I have another secondary socket in the bedroom - all my devices are connected by wifi

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.