Safari bookmarks

r.d

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" unibody Macbook 2ghz 160gb. 2020 MacBook Pro M1 256gb. IPhone SE 2020
HI there

i wonder if somebody can help me. ive been trying to sync my bookmarks between my mac and my iPhone via iCloud.

i did it wrong the 1st time and ended up with all my bookmarks out of order on both devices.

i used safari sort , to sort them out A to Z and exported them. i then deleted the original bookmarks which cleared my iCloud. i then imported my newly sorted bookmarks. this has worked, and now both devices have bookmarks how i want them :)

now,i have one irritation. on both devices..if i select Favourites on my iPhone or Favourites bar on safari, it brings up another folder called favourites bar and from there i get to see my bookmarks. how do i eliminate this extra step? i thought when i exported and then imported it would totally replace what i had.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Im a little lost. Is it possible to give us a Screen Shot of your Safari on your Mac ??
As I'm reading it, you choose Favourites on Safari on your Mac and it brings up a folder with Favourites and then you have them all sorted in Alphabetical Order ?? Correct ?
If that is the case, have you gone to Safari>View>Show Favourites Bar or ⇧⌘B and that will bring up the Favourites Bar underneath your Search/URL bar, and then they are always there for you without clicking on something to bring it up. Like . . . .
Cqxcy3J.png

Now to your iPhone, I open a new page, then touch the book looking thing, then the Favourites like you see in the image and i have my Bookmark Bar as i have it on my Mac . . . You are saying you have another Folder within the Favourites that says Favourites ??

UNUxtkJ.jpg

I have just found on the iPhone, if you goto Settings>Safari>General>Favorites and then dig down to the folder that is your Favourites, then when you go to Safari, your Favourites should be only 1 Touch away.

Let us know how you go, and if its still not working, then please post screen shots so we can understand a bit better. Cheers

EDIT : Oh i forgot to say as well, because you are using iCloud, whatever/however your bookmarks are on your Mac, is how they will be on your iPhone/iPad/Mini, because iCloud just sync's from the host, being the Mac, for this particular problem. So you NEED to sort them out on your Mac 1st, THEN they will be the same and all good on your iPhone. Thinking more now, I'm in the belief that you have done something on your Mac, that has given your the extra Folder, so once you sort that out, it will be all good on the iPhone. I usually goto Safari>Bookmarks>Edit Bookmarks and move them around that way. Editing the bookmarks is easy to do in this instant. HTH

OP
r.d

r.d

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for getting back to me.

You`ve pretty much understood what i mean and vice versa.

Heres a screen shot of my predicament.

In the bookmarks pane on the left you can see the folder Favourites Bar at the top. when i click that i get the next folder favourites bar underneath, containing my bookmarks.

Also, if i select bookmarks at the top of the screen, i get an extra favourites bar folder at the bottom. And my original favourites bar is empty.

All this is happened since i exported and then imported my bookmarks.

im guessing theres a problem in a folder somewhere.
Can this be easily rectified or shall i just do a time machine recovery and start again?

many thanks

oh, the reason i haven't done a time machine recovery is that im working away and wanted to try and sort it when i had 5 mins.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well from your screenshot, in the Bookmarks/Reading List column, in the Top Favourites Folder is where all your BookMarks for the Bookmark Bar should be.

Try this, goto Bookmarks>Edit Bookmarks and this will bring up a full window for you too edit in. Now where it has the Open Book icon, that is where we need to get your bookmarks.
So if you see another folder under it (I'm betting its the Favourites folder) Click the Triangle to Expand it. Click the top line, then ⇧(shift) click the bottom line, and they will now be all highlighted. Click anywhere in the highlighted area, and drag it up towards the Open Book icon. As you do, you will see a green line (or whatever colour you have as a Highlight) and drop it onto the Open Book icon. Now you should see all your Favourites in your Safari Bar under the Search Field Bar. . .

Give that a go and get back to us :)

Cheers

OP
r.d

r.d

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well from your screenshot, in the Bookmarks/Reading List column, in the Top Favourites Folder is where all your BookMarks for the Bookmark Bar should be.

Try this, goto Bookmarks>Edit Bookmarks and this will bring up a full window for you too edit in. Now where it has the Open Book icon, that is where we need to get your bookmarks.
So if you see another folder under it (I'm betting its the Favourites folder) Click the Triangle to Expand it. Click the top line, then ⇧(shift) click the bottom line, and they will now be all highlighted. Click anywhere in the highlighted area, and drag it up towards the Open Book icon. As you do, you will see a green line (or whatever colour you have as a Highlight) and drop it onto the Open Book icon. Now you should see all your Favourites in your Safari Bar under the Search Field Bar. . .

Give that a go and get back to us :)

Cheers

That worked a treat!

Thanks so much for your help, i really appreciate it :)

How easy was that? lol

Ive been using a Mac for 3 years and still struggle with simple tasks as i normally just surf the web and use iTunes etc

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to be of help :) and happy you have it all sorted. Now with iCloud, it will sync to your iPhone and be tha same as your Mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.